National Sales Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Sales Tax

Heard on TV, that the idea for a national sales tax is a possibility. I hope not. But the way they were talking, If you took money out of an ATM, you would be taxed, then when you spent it you would be taxed. Every transaction would be taxed. Sounds like one big nightmare, hope we wake up soon.

I know at this stage it is just talk, hope it stays that way.

The thing that is easy to forget, is that it is up to each individual to get their opinion known. I have been as guilty, or more so, of sitting back thinking someone else would help stop some undesirable action only to find out everyone else was doing the same thing. Then the vocal minority wins.

So make your feelings known.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

ATM tax

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
      But the way they were talking, If you took money out of an ATM,

I know at this stage it is just talk, hope it stays that way.
      ----
      ATM tax sounds fine. I keep my money in the mattress. I just hope they don't tax my mattress.

Comment

I think they'll figure out how to tax that as well - won't even have to change the abbreviation.
        It will be an "At The Mattress" withdrawal tax.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

"They" are trying to squeeze in a 1% tax ....but we all know what that 1% will turn into within a year...
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

New Taxes

It would be an amazing chronology to look at "new" taxes that were introduced under the guise of "it's only a very small amount." If they can introduce a "new" tax that is small, then they will draw attention to it later and say "Well, it isn't really high enough."

Those who have been effective resisting taxes will tell you in a heartbeat the best strategy is to totally stop proposals of "new" taxes dead in their tracks. If they don't exist, then they can't be increased.

I think some of the resistance to a sales tax at the National level have come inadvertently from the politically correct crowd. They have pointed in hostility to states who have their primarily revenue attached to sales tax, and have said things like "Louisiana has a "regressive" tax structure." They seem to prefer an "accelerated" tax structure.

Most of this crowd happens to be from the "Tax and Spend" party. Somehow if they could succeed in getting a new tax (like a VAT) in place, they would all-of-a-sudden start telling us that regressive taxes are "useful and good."

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel View Post
              Most of this crowd happens to be from the "Tax and Spend" party
              Yes. The Republicrat party.

Comment

Regardless of which

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                Yes. The Republicrat party.
                party we deem taxers and spenders (I'm in Edsel's camp), I'm kinda thinkin' there's a fair chance of a national sales tax in our future (within a couple of years maybe). In times past we've debated proposals in the news which advocated replacing the income tax with a sales tax. Now the talk seems to be laying it on in addition to income tax.

Here's a discussion of it and if Dave will forgive/overlook the anti-Obama slant and the author's Fox pedigree, the skeleton framework of the article on how it may likely come into being seems realistic to me (feel free to post Rachel Maddow's version if you like).

Whether we agree that it's good/bad or justified/unnecessary along with who's due credit/to blame are all questions for another forum since we could easily come to partisan verbal blows over such and the board moderators won't allow that.

Comment

Does anyone realize who uses tanning salons and who this tax is focused against?????
                  This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Equal opportunity predators

This adminstration and this congress are equal opportunity predators.

The VAT is a consumption tax, and the poor will be the ones most suffering. It does nothing except cause prices to increase. The general public is then supposed to blame the evil greedy corporations for our lowered standard of living, but we aren't as dumb as we look.

The VAT tax will be used mostly to pay the salaries and benefits of the army of new bureaucrats who will oversee the new program.

Cap and trade is a consumption tax. Same thing. Prices go up, standard of living for our poorest citizens goes down. Wealthy investors are poised to start trading carbon credits so they can become Uberwealthy:

Find all the latest news on the environment and climate change from the Telegraph. Including daily emissions and pollution data.

Card check will result in higher prices. Same thing. Fantastically wealthy union leaders get even richer.

Comment

Why,

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                      Does anyone realize who uses tanning salons and who this tax is focused against?????
                      yes I do! The clients of tanning salons use it. And the tax is focused against against my tanning salon owner client who is thoroughly miffed about the whole thing. But...I'll bet you had somebody else in mind, didn't you? Okay, I give up. Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                        yes I do! The clients of tanning salons use it. And the tax is focused against against my tanning salon owner client who is thoroughly miffed about the whole thing. But...I'll bet you had somebody else in mind, didn't you? Okay, I give up. Who?
                        People who don't have dark skin.........................naturally.
                        Last edited by BOB W; 07-11-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                          This adminstration and this congress are equal opportunity predators.

The VAT is a consumption tax, and the poor will be the ones most suffering. It does nothing except cause prices to increase. The general public is then supposed to blame the evil greedy corporations for our lowered standard of living, but we aren't as dumb as we look.

The VAT tax will be used mostly to pay the salaries and benefits of the army of new bureaucrats who will oversee the new program.

Cap and trade is a consumption tax. Same thing. Prices go up, standard of living for our poorest citizens goes down. Wealthy investors are poised to start trading carbon credits so they can become Uberwealthy:

Find all the latest news on the environment and climate change from the Telegraph. Including daily emissions and pollution data.

Card check will result in higher prices. Same thing. Fantastically wealthy union leaders get even richer.
                          The VAT will end up being a tax credit for the low income people.... redistribution continues....................

Comment

Working...
                          X