• Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks erchess

Comment

Thanks veritas

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
        Get the bank to put into writing they blew it and it should be an IRA account. It works like magic...
        Jon, i was just on the phone with a bank guy today. I don't know if they're going to do that.

This one bank fellow i talked started getting a little proud. He looked at such letter as some big admission of defeat -- MFer. Just ignore the fact that such a letter would be a great help to one of clients -- a nice elderly lady.

It's not llike the bank would really get any repercussions from that, would they? It's not like we/I would go badmouthing them if they gave us such a letter as a favor. I'd never use it against them.

Maybe instead of asking them to "admit fault." Say something like it's "possible that one our tellers had an oversight." Or even "the folks on the investment side weren't communicating with the folks on the banking side." But they ought do something!
        Last edited by tacks; 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM. Reason: longwindedness

Comment

Hopefully there are plenty of other banks in town.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
            to put into writing they blew it and it should be an IRA account. It works like magic...
            I might not get that.

But it's looking like I will have documentation showing that my client set up a new "IRA Rollover" account well within the 60 days. Deposited the entire distribution from her old IRA to the bank. But the bank, instead put the money in a Nonqualified Account.

My client is elderly and her live in partner became stricken with what i'd call the "later stages of alzhiemers." Not yet sure how i'll word that. Maybe send documents.

Comment

bump

Hello all

I was concentrating so much on the bank accounts and money trail that i neglected other strong factors within "of Rev Proc 2003-7.

This woman knew/dated a man who was diagnosed with dementia and then Alzheimers. A social worker declared the man unable to live with himself. He moved in with her. She then became legal guardian. She was hounded by creditors because the man's debts ran up. The man's $$$ had myseriously dissappeared.

I guess it would be wise not only to mention this but to fully document it.

Right?

(never done something like this before)

Comment

bump

My action:
                I sent 21 pages requesting two waivers under code section 403(c) (?) -- two of the waiver provisions described in Rev Proc 2006-16. She qualified for a waiver due to 1) bank error and 2) hardship (long story).

I requested 8,300 of tax, penalty and interest be waived.

IRS sent a response denying my request. (The response was absolute garbage. It didn't even address Rev Proc 2006-16 -- it was as if they didn't even read my letter.)

So I called the IRS and pleaded my case politely. I was lucky enough to get one of the 'good' agents. She reviewed my case and saw that we made a lot of good faith effort to comply with the notice on a timely basis.

I had solid arguments accompanied by many pages of bank statements, medical records and other such support.

The agent on the phone then granted us the waiver of $8,300. She gave us everything that she could -- every penny that we asked for. She even went so far as to waive the small portion of the negligence penalty ($140?) which was caused by an oversight on my part. An error, oversight, that i confessed to making on the first page of my response. (A penalty that i would have otherwise eaten myself.)

Although the agent could see that we did send a response she didn't have it in front of her. But she granted our request any way; basing her decision on 'oral testimony.' I took her name and ID number.

So as it turns out i actually put more work in to this case than i needed to. I did put an extra, not necessary, 100 or 200 dollars worth of time trying to save $8,300. My bill will still be less than any other CPA w/ my credentials -- still be much less than what a lawyer would charge.

So be it. In this case I'd rather do too much than too little.

Thanks

Thanks to those who helped me on this. And never mind how i feel, know that you were crucial in serving a sweet elderly grandmother who's retirement finances were neglected shamelessly by some awful bankers. Awful bankers who refused to help out even after the fact.

May all of us be so fortunate.

Comment

Nice work, tacks

Thanks for telling us what happened, and for sticking with it.

I have a client with something similar, where bank set up an inherited IRA incorrectly. Kept telling the widow that SHE messed up, and THEY had no way of knowing... Widow is pretty sharp, went to the bank, had representative looking through her file, and stopped the bank rep when she came across the death certificate of the husband. Hmm, that might be a clue that he's deceased...

The bank employee actually said, "Rita (that's me) must have faxed that to us yesterday." Really??

My client told me, "That was really stupid - to know you've messed up, know we all know you've messed up, and not just admit it." Yes, we have a good number of banks here, and my widow client will be moving her business. Not because of the goof up, but because the bank wouldn't OWN the goof up.
                  If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Thanks for responding, Rita.

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                    My client told me, "That was really stupid - to know you've messed up, know we all know you've messed up, and not just admit it."
                    My client said the same to me. What's worse is that a little note from them owning up to small miscommunication would have made this process butt easy and worry free.

But unfortunately there wasn't a clear paper trail in which we could easily prove the bank at fault. We all know their at fault but we can't prove it.

...my widow client will be moving her business. Not because of the goof up, but because the bank wouldn't OWN the goof up.
                    As will my client for the same exact reason.

Thanks... and for sticking with it.
                    After some time i created somewhat of a vested interest in this case. I was not going to bill my client for the time if we didn't win.

(surely i'm breaking some law, but **** it)

Comment

Working...
                    X