Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Collection - Living Expenses

Does anyone has experience with this?

IRS allows payments to tax professionals as necessary living expenses. I was surprised to learn today that they allow only payments to resolve IRS issues, not issues with the state. I don't quite believe this.

What is your source that says state portion of fee must be allocated out?
    I have a client that pays both est tax to fed and state and fed is accepting the amounts as necessary living expenses. Don't know why oic would be any different.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
      Does anyone has experience with this?

IRS allows payments to tax professionals as necessary living expenses. I was surprised to learn today that they allow only payments to resolve IRS issues, not issues with the state. I don't quite believe this.
      Try IRM 5.15.1.10

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        Don't know why oic would be any different.
        Try IRM 5.8.5.6.4

Comment

Thank you, both.

I certainly did not give enough details. My clients owes almost $60,000 including penalties and interest, can only pay only $50/month now and starting next year $200/month. Therefor only necessary expenses are allowed.

I checked on the referenced sections in the manual before. Section below explicitly says it's for representation before the Service. When the agent put the screws on me when I think my clients has paid me off I was stupid enough to mention the state issue, which I haven't touched yet.

Since this is my first experience with collections I would like to get some guidance and have two more questions right now.

1. Has the IRS the right to take the max. amount the T/P is deemed to be able to pay and then the state gets nothing?

2. My T/P might be able to get a mortgage of $25,000 against his mobile home and I consider OIC. Do you think IRS is likely to accept? What is the procedure to move from an installment agreement to OIC? Anyway, is that a good idea?

Thank you.

5.15.1.10 - If representation before the Service is needed or meets the necessary expense test. Amount must be reasonable.

Comment

Working...
          X