Amended Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amended Tax Return

Is it true that an amended tax return has a 90% chance of getting audited????

thanks

Originally posted by POCAHONTAS View Post
    Is it true that an amended tax return has a 90% chance of getting audited????

thanks
    All amended tax returns in my district are manually processed and reviewed by lower level individuals at the Service (not the audit level). The next step is up to them based upon their initial review.

Comment

I wouldn't say so. Of the amended returns done in our office throughout the years, the IRS has certainly not audited 90% of them. Sometimes we get a letter for more info, etc, but usually the 1040X is processed and there is no further contact from the IRS.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

That hasn't been my experience. I can't recall the last time I saw an audit of an amended return, but I usually provide documentation for amended returns to a much higher degree than originals.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Never, ever, had an audit for a 1040x I prepared.

The secret to success is.............. (where did i put that?.....) is..............

Document, document and document.

Well, okay. I did plagiarize.
          so sue me, Laura! lol
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Me, either. Have probably done amended returns for every year I have been in the business and that is over 30. Never had one audited.

Comment

OK Burke and Ch$ear...I hope you're crossing your fingers and toes -you guys should know better than saying "never". LOL

IMO amendments DO attract more audits...perhaps it depends on what you're amending for? If it's omission of a 1099-int slip or such I doubt it'll raise eyebrows...addition of a missed schedule c business (yup I"ve done one of those) is probably much more likely to get a review.

Comment

thanks all

client didn't deduct education credit for their 27 year old university student and wants to amend his 2008 tax return to claim it, would that attract an audit??
                thanks

Comment

thanks all

client didn't deduct education credit for their 27 year old university student and wants to amend his 2008 tax return to claim it, would that attract an audit??
                  thanks
                  Did the 27yo Work? If so, how much was earned?

Chris

Comment

maybe the 27 year old claimed it on his return?

Comment

the parents provide all support but the 27 year old, he does not work and does not live with the parents and he receives loans to pay for his tuition and fees but the parents pay for his lodging food etc etc.

Comment

so am I correct in assuming that this return would not attract an audit?
                        thanks

Comment

Audit

so am I correct in assuming that this return would not attract an audit?
                          thanks
                          You would be correct in assuming that it PROBABLY would not attract an audit. I've never had an amended return audited, but any return could be audited. I would think an amended return would be less likely to be audited than an original return.

As others have stated, it pays to document. Once I amended a return to get $ 30,000 back, so I attached a complete copy of the original plus the complete return as-amended with notes explaining the differences penciled in on each version. His check was in the mail soon afterward.

Comment

thank you taxcpa

Comment

who provides the support?

the parents provide all support but the 27 year old, he does not work and does not live with the parents and he receives loans to pay for his tuition and fees but the parents pay for his lodging food etc etc.
                              If he the 27-year-old is liable for repayment of the college loans to pay his tuition and fees, then that money is treated as support that he pays for himself. It wouldn't be true that "parents provide all support". Depending upon the precise numbers, they might not even provide more than half of the son's support.

Comment

Working...
                              X