Arrears> Re Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrears> Re Taxes

Client is playing catchup with mortgage that is in arrears. Bank paid old RE Taxes to the tune of 47,000 but T/P did not pay bank yet for those funds. Bank is now billing client along with mortgage bill.

My question is: Can my client deduct the $47,000 that the bank paid on his behalf?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Not until he has paid it. I would think the rules are the smae for claiming timely paid interest and taxes. When paid, not when accrued.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Did the bank add

the taxes to the mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        the taxes to the mortgage?
        Yes they did...........
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

So

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Yes they did...........
          I would say your client paid the property taxes at that point.

Another thought, the additional amounts "borrowed" would be equity debt.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            I would say your client paid the property taxes at that point.

Another thought, the additional amounts "borrowed" would be equity debt.
            I like your Equity Debt comment..............makes sense to me............. Bank has set a 12 month payback which my client can't make so he is applying for a reduced payment for a longer time period.

But equity debt sounds right...........................I'm thinking it over as I have to file his 2009 tax return this week.

Comment

I would check with the bank to see whether they consider this an equity loan. If not, and if not a mortgage loan then client deducts the interest and prop tax in the year he pays it.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                I would check with the bank to see whether they consider this an equity loan. If not, and if not a mortgage loan then client deducts the interest and prop tax in the year he pays it.
                Good points......I'm still thinking.........................

Comment

Working...
                X