Tax returns prepared but failed to mail them in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax returns prepared but failed to mail them in

Acquired a new client that has 3 yrs of tax returns prepared and client signed them but never mailed them in. I called the IRS tax practioner hotline and the IRS agent told me the date has to be current. I asked the agent will the IRS accept a 2006 tax return with the taxpayers signature and date being 3 yrs old. Agent replied has to be a current date and signature. Client does not want to deal with the tax preparer that originally prepared these tax returns. Do I need to recreate the tax returns?

Possible Idea

Does the current date of signature rule apply to the paid preparer signature as well as the client signature? If it does then I guess your client has to choose between going back to the old preparer for new copies and paying you whatever you would charge to prepare new returns.. Hey, maybe you can find errors made by your predecessor.

If the old signature date for the preparer is no problem then all you have to do is white out the dates of his signatures, scan those pages onto your computer perhaps in Word or PDF Format, then print those pages and have him re date. I guess I am relying on the notion that facsimile signatures are ok.
    \

Comment

Have the client sign their name and enter the current date directly above the existing signature(s) and date(s). Forget about the preparer's signature & date - it is what it is.

I'll bet the returns will sail right through.
      If not, IRS will let you know what needs to be done...
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

See ยง1.6061-1 - nothing there about being current.

Comment

You could also attach a statement that the returns were mailed at a later date than the signature date. Also mail each return in a separate envelope.

Comment

Advice from agent

You can't accept the information you get on the telephone. A lot of the IRS employees are not too well informed and give incorrect advice. There is no reason to change the date even if the return is being mailed in three years after it was signed.

I would mail them in and wait and see if any question then arises about the date.

Comment

past experience

I can think of one of my clients who failed to mail in a return. We caught his error 1 year later when we were doin gthat year's taxes. He mailed the return in and that was that.

Comment

Had same situation. Mailed in a year later. We did not change date. No problem.

Comment

The date the return is signed has nothing to do with the date the IRS received the returns. Rather than mailing them I would have the client take them to the local tax office and get receipts for them. That is the date they are considered filed.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X