house bill 4213

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

house bill 4213

I dont like to "comment" on proposed legislative action (like to wait till facts are in before offering advice) - however, I just received a memo from a PAC about HR 4213 which if passed would make SCorp "earnings" subject to SE tax for certain "sized" (less than 3 employees) "service" businesses (including "tax" services?)
    While the above may not be completely accurate, I believe it reflects the "gist" of the bill and how it would adversely affect many of us on TTB!
    I for one am hoping this bill makes it to the trash heap!

Originally posted by luke View Post
    I dont like to "comment" on proposed legislative action (like to wait till facts are in before offering advice) - however, I just received a memo from a PAC about HR 4213 which if passed would make SCorp "earnings" subject to SE tax for certain "sized" (less than 3 employees) "service" businesses (including "tax" services?)
    While the above may not be completely accurate, I believe it reflects the "gist" of the bill and how it would adversely affect many of us on TTB!
    Amen, brother.

I THINK we were promised at some time a year or two ago, "no new taxes."
    And if SE tax is applied directly to net profit on the 1120S, that is a new tax for shore.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I hear the train a-comin'

Yep, this one's been coming for a long time. Revenooers have been salivating at raising SS and Medicare receipts, and it was just a matter of tacking it onto the right legislation.

There has been abuse by shareholders who work for the corporation not giving themselves a salary, as well as a strategy to limit SE tax by choosing S corps as the entity of choice. However, this bill leaves the domain of a worker and enters the domain of the investor.

And try to find out which congressman is responsible for bringing this to the table. We can't even find out which idiot added the 1099 requirement to all recipients effective in 2012.
      Government by the people? I don't think so.

Get ready for a mass exodus of S corps into C corps and other entities.

Comment

Not just S-Corps

If you read the actual bill it also begins to tax as SE income the distributive share of limited partners in these types of businesses (LLC's). I already made the argument in another thread (the one on the WSJ article) that this gives credibility to my long held position that limited partners are not subject to SE tax on their distributive share if it's not a GP. The bill specifically references the exact same Code Section that I had been using to support my position, and specifically says that that Section would not apply under the new rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel View Post
          Yep, this one's been coming for a long time. Revenooers have been salivating at raising SS and Medicare receipts, and it was just a matter of tacking it onto the right legislation.

There has been abuse by shareholders who work for the corporation not giving themselves a salary, as well as a strategy to limit SE tax by choosing S corps as the entity of choice. However, this bill leaves the domain of a worker and enters the domain of the investor.

And try to find out which congressman is responsible for bringing this to the table. We can't even find out which idiot added the 1099 requirement to all recipients effective in 2012.

Yes, but an exodus to a C Corp will not help me and other professionals and tax practitioners that operate as an S-Corp. The only other option we have is to become a PSC. I have not reviewed the rules for a PSC for a few years now but I do not believe that it would have much difference between it and a fully-taxed for SE purposes S-corp.

Maribeth

Comment

The congressman?

Originally posted by Edsel View Post

It's the crybaby IRS who go to congress and feed the ideas into their heads. Ms. Taxgap is probably the primary culprit.

Comment

Am I imagining things, or did Edsel call me an "abuser"? (grin
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

A completely legal loophole is not abuse. That is why they "need" to change the law.

Comment

Originally posted by snowshine View Post
                  A completely legal loophole is not abuse. That is why they "need" to change the law.
                  No they don't! (grin

here's a little bit of background. In the middle 1970's when I first encountered that strange creature, the "S" corporation and got to studying it, I marveled at the simplicity, the logic of it all. Congress created it and the explanation I finally found - I say finally found since research was so primitive in those pre internet days - was that members of congress used the S corporation for their speaking income, some of them pulling down a half a million dollars per year if he was prominent enough.

Now then, I just wonder if congressmen.. uh.. congress people still use the S corporation
                  for that purpose. After all, the cap on FICA taxable earnings is now way up there compared to 1970 percentages.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
                    So, if this goes into effect, does it mean we can simply pay the SE tax on the tax return and avoid all those pesky federal and state payroll forms?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      So, if this goes into effect, does it mean we can simply pay the SE tax on the tax return and avoid all those pesky federal and state payroll forms?
                      I would think that if the business is so classified, the amount will reflect on the K-1 and
                      flow through to the taxpayer's schedule se.

However, I'm still not clear as to whether tax preparers operating under an S corporation are to be included. The bill speaks of "personal service" providers. Doctors, lawyers, yes.
                      We like to consider ourselves "professionals" but are we to be included in the definition?
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I think accountants are part of that group.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                          I think accountants are part of that group.
                          Probably so. This HR 4213 probably uses the definition of PSC as already codified in the law. And there is a tax court case (Rainbow) which includes tax preparation services as included in "accounting".
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

HR 4213 text

Okay, since this here new fangled boondoggle created
                            by the House Way too Mean committee has had subject
                            voted on and passed by the House of Reprehensibles
                            on May 28th, and since a certain provision of it
                            affects those of us using the S corporation structure
                            for our tax practices, here is the link to the bill
                            with all it's gory details:

It all starts on page 277. Read it and weep.

(Sorry if you have trouble with the link; might take
                            a bit of cuttin' and pastin'.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Construction

Does any of this HR 4213 affect the construction industry Sub S Corporations as far as the Employment Tax Treatment?

Kurly

Comment

Working...
                              X