Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To The Moderators

Good day,

I am hoping you can make a change to the message board format.

I VERY SELDOMLY check for private messages, because [somehow or other] the link at the top right of the page never catches my eye.

Is there ANYTHING you can do to make the Private Messages link stand out? Post it in Fire Engine Red? Have an accompanying flashing lightning bolt? Something?

I am making this request because of the following, today [May 13] I finally noticed that there was a message there requesting my help. That PM was placed there on March 26.

So now, because of my inattentiveness, I appear to be a stuck-up snob who can't be bothered to respond to a request for assistance. Sheesh!

I realize that this problem happened because of my inattentiveness, but anything you can do to assist me [and, perhaps others] in recognizing the existence of a PM would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
    Good day,

I am hoping you can make a change to the message board format.

I VERY SELDOMLY check for private messages, because [somehow or other] the link at the top right of the page never catches my eye.

Is there ANYTHING you can do to make the Private Messages link stand out? Post it in Fire Engine Red? Have an accompanying flashing lightning bolt? Something?

I am making this request because of the following, today [May 13] I finally noticed that there was a message there requesting my help. That PM was placed there on March 26.

So now, because of my inattentiveness, I appear to be a stuck-up snob who can't be bothered to respond to a request for assistance. Sheesh!

I realize that this problem happened because of my inattentiveness, but anything you can do to assist me [and, perhaps others] in recognizing the existence of a PM would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    That has happened to me also on several occassions. Something different needS to be done. Maybe highlite "Unread Messages" and make it flash.
    Last edited by BOB W; 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Until the moderators get around to it, how's this?

HEY TRAVIS, CHECK YOUR PM'S.
      Last edited by JohnH; 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Works for me

Originally posted by JohnH View Post

[b]HEY TRAVIS, CHECK YOUR PM'S.[b]

Comment

We can just bump it up every few days for you, for Bob and for me, because I've missed them in the past myself.

(although I did something in the user settings some time ago that now generates an email to me when I get a PM. That seemed to help. Look for some check boxes in "Messaging and Notification" in the Control Panel)
          Last edited by JohnH; 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Shukran Jazilan!

We can just bump it up every few days for you, for Bob and for me, because I've missed them in the past myself.

(although I did something in the user settings some time ago that now generates an email to me when I get a PM. That seemed to help. Look for some check boxes in "Messaging and Notification" in the Control Panel)
            I did as you said JohnH ..... who would have thunk that such an option was available.

Comment

Me, too!

I too missed a couple of messages from way back in March and April until just now as I read this thread and decided to check. I think I used to get an email... Guess I need to revisit my settings. But, flashing when messages exist would be a good update. Thanx, TTB, for this board and it's many features that keep us connected to each other.

Comment

And me!

Actually aside from not noticing the message that I have a message I have a hard time finding the new message. I would prefer that anyone wanting my help use my personal
                email because I never know when I will be back on the forum. Guess I will see if I can set up something on the leave a message page.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Email notification of new private messages

Go to User CP in the upper left menu bar and click on the Edit Options under Control Panel along the left side of your screen. Scroll down to Messaging & Notification. The third option is Private Messaging which allows you to enable or disable private messaging. If private messaging is enabled, the second option down gives you the option to receive an email notification of new private messages. Check that box, and the next time someone sends you a private message, you will receive an email notifying you to check your private messages.

Comment

I set it up as you stated, but it would be "cute" to have PM flashing when there is activity.
                    Last edited by BOB W; 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Great idea, John!

HEY TRAVIS, CHECK YOUR PM'S.
                      Since I am one of the world's worst at overlooking PMs, and because I also overlook my emails I would like to subscribe to your service rather than using Bees' method. Please put me down for a once a week notification.

Oh, by the way (this is one of my clients' most FAQ); is there any charge for this?

P.S. As Bob mentioned, I also prefer a "cute" flashing notice.

RSVP -Bart

Comment

Bart:
                        I'm working on it, but right now I'm having trouble making it flash. It's hard to set a charge for this, but maybe just a picture with the expression on your face when you see it in final form will be payment enough for the work.

I'm still tinkering with the wording, but so far here's what I have

HEY! BART!
                        TIME TO CHECK YOUR PM'S.
                        GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR .....
                        Last edited by JohnH; 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bees

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                          Go to User CP in the upper left menu bar and click on the Edit Options under Control Panel along the left side of your screen. Scroll down to Messaging & Notification. The third option is Private Messaging which allows you to enable or disable private messaging. If private messaging is enabled, the second option down gives you the option to receive an email notification of new private messages. Check that box, and the next time someone sends you a private message, you will receive an email notifying you to check your private messages.
                          I have certainly missed several messages due to lack of attention.

Comment

Working...
                          X