Expatriate returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expatriate returns

New client was just here. Her husband is in security work in Iraq. They have several years tax returns to do.
    I have heard of this but never done any before. Can you give me guidance as to where to look for information in doing these returns?

Thanks

Linda

IRS Pub 54 or TTB 14-13 for details on the foreign income exclusion. Otherwise, all worldwide income is taxable for US citizens.

And contrary to the stuff he was told in Iraq, if he was a civilian contractor he does not get a combat or hostile war zone exclusion.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Form 2555,

with all of it's twists and turns. We do a couple every year and have to fight all the way through them. There is so much misinformation out there. You will have to get the exact dates he left and entered each country and the address at the location he was working. Hopefully he will qualify for the necessary days to claim the exemption for foreign earned income, but even if he does there is a limit on it and many make much more than the limit and get a rude surprise at tax time.
      I do not believe he is a expatriate in this case, he has not given up his status as a US citizen.
      We are gonna be down your way in a couple weeks to visit my son. Hoping for good weather for a change.! Will my first visit to your state.
      AJ, EA

Comment

Perfect weather

in Tampa Bay now. In the days temperature up to the 90's and mornings in the low 70's. sunny days and very little rain.
        Hoping the oil slick does not reach our beaches.

Comment

Working...
        X