Philly Amnesty-We all need to do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philly Amnesty-We all need to do this

I recently sent the text below in form of a letter to each member of our state ways and means committee, our city council, the governor and the mayor in hopes that they would pick up this idea and put it into action in Hawaii.
    My reason for doing this was to get the deliquents to payup so you I and all of our clients are not subjected to more local and state taxes.

I would like to suggest that each of you do the same in your state.

Text of message: I was recently made aware of the Philadelphia Tax Amnesty Program established to collect delinquent taxes.

Part of my business, as a tax Enrolled Agent, is to do compliance, installment agreements and offers in compromise for my clients. I do this partly because I do believe that everyone should take responsibility for their tax liability.

We all know that the State is looking for ways to beef up the budget. Rather than further overburden residential home owners, or raise the GET tax, I would like to take this opportunity to urge each and every one of you to review the Q&A on the site provided and seriously consider a similar program for Hawaii delinquent taxpayers.

Realizing that this could place a burden on the tax office if it were necessary for them to assist these "delinquents" perhaps the program could refer the taxpayer to their (or a knowledgeable) tax preparer if they require assistance in coming into compliance with past year returns and the application for amnesty.

Should you decide this is a feasible opportunity I further urge you to set it up for a period of more than 30 days. Keep in mind that it takes 45 to 60 days for homeowners to obtain an equity loan or refinance. If this program is to work there must be an adequate time included to allow for the taxpayer to set up financing.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Our county did something similar

last week Taxea and collected over 1 million dollars for unpaid automobile tickets. Some of the charges date back more than a decade. They were threatened with loss of license and a point on their auto policies. It was for a 30 day period. The last week was a killer with lines stretching around and beyond the courthouse. What you suggest is a wonderful idea.

Peachie

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      I recently sent the text below in form of a letter to each member of our state ways and means committee, our city council, the governor and the mayor in hopes that they would pick up this idea and put it into action in Hawaii.
      My reason for doing this was to get the deliquents to payup so you I and all of our clients are not subjected to more local and state taxes.

I would like to suggest that each of you do the same in your state.

Text of message: I was recently made aware of the Philadelphia Tax Amnesty Program established to collect delinquent taxes.

Part of my business, as a tax Enrolled Agent, is to do compliance, installment agreements and offers in compromise for my clients. I do this partly because I do believe that everyone should take responsibility for their tax liability.

We all know that the State is looking for ways to beef up the budget. Rather than further overburden residential home owners, or raise the GET tax, I would like to take this opportunity to urge each and every one of you to review the Q&A on the site provided and seriously consider a similar program for Hawaii delinquent taxpayers.

Realizing that this could place a burden on the tax office if it were necessary for them to assist these "delinquents" perhaps the program could refer the taxpayer to their (or a knowledgeable) tax preparer if they require assistance in coming into compliance with past year returns and the application for amnesty.

Should you decide this is a feasible opportunity I further urge you to set it up for a period of more than 30 days. Keep in mind that it takes 45 to 60 days for homeowners to obtain an equity loan or refinance. If this program is to work there must be an adequate time included to allow for the taxpayer to set up financing.
      Whether or not a tax amnesty program is a good idea for any legislature to pass is not my comment here.

However I am very reluctant to get involved ever in such a campaign. In olden days I never even studied the new tax law until after the president signed it. Nowdays new tax law is
      so darned complicated we do need to get a head start on it. (grin

And the bit about referring recalcitrants to your nearest EA or tax preparer smacks of self serving. If I were a Hawaiian legislature I would see right through this.

No, let's keep out of politics.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Politics??

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        No, let's keep out of politics.
        Good grief Harlan - you're old enough to know better than this.

I think you're right about WISHING to stay out of politics, but you can't get to first base in tax knowledge without them!!

And it's getting worse. Nowadays, no major legislation can get through without a tax sweetened deal somewhere. Either needed to raise revenue, purportedly to help the economy, or to appease some reluctant senator to get him to support some otherwise crappy bill.

Tax amnesty accomplishes two things when you stop and think about it: 1)Raises revenue temporarily and 2)portrays the hated tax authorities as angels from heaven.

Like yourself, I'm not sure I want my smiling face aggressively shown on the same page with these schemes, but I will sure accept customers and charge them for the work.

Comment

Tax Amnesty

I would welcome Tax Amnesty - to have those "persons" that have not complied in the past to come forward and become or become compliant in all "sources of State or Federal Revenue " unpaid debt" . It is revenue, and who knows once we are able assist those "persons" into compliance - there is a possiblity they they will remain in compliance.

Federal, State, County, City, etc.

However, I will not go out of my way in writing to politicians , reporting people, etc in non compliance, as suggested in prior posts.

Guess if I wanted to do that and be pro-active, I would become active in some "political group"

Sandy

Comment

From Chears: And the bit about referring recalcitrants to your nearest EA or tax preparer smacks of self serving. If I were a Hawaiian legislature I would see right through this

Chears you really have to know how the Hawaii tax office operates to realize this was not at all self serving.

ST if not you, who? If not now, when? I guess you don't mind paying the taxes for those who don't. I don't expect my state to do anything but at least I can say I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
              From Chears: And the bit about referring recalcitrants to your nearest EA or tax preparer smacks of self serving. If I were a Hawaiian legislature I would see right through this

Chears you really have to know how the Hawaii tax office operates to realize this was not at all self serving.
              Well, down in these parts, both Georgia and Alabama departments of revenue have a firm
              policy which prohibits any employee recommending any accountant to anyone with whom he comes into contact. This extends to recommending any type of accountant over another, e.g. a CPA versus EA; or an EA as opposed to a national store front chain.

It's a good policy overall.

But on the practical side, I once had an AL agent in my office who after we had concluded
              the audit, asked if I were taking on new clients, and then he borrowed my phone, got out the yellow pages and called another store owner he was auditing to advise him on which
              page and column of the yellow pages to look, even suggesting how far down the page in inches to look!
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Chears....the tax office would not be referring anyone to a preparer...the amnesty policy would suggest that the client seek the assistance of a professional.

Comment

Working...
                X