Teaser Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaser Question

C Corp owns marketable securities, one of them being General Conglomerate. They purchased 1000 shares for $20,000. G Conglomerate has a "dividends reinvestment" plan, and C Corp is agreeable to it.

During the course of the fiscal year, Conglomerate paid $1000 in dividends to C Corp. They qualify for a 70% Dividends Received Exclusion. The $1000 was reinvested into G Conglomerate, at $20/share (same price as original purchase price so as to not needlessly complicate this example).

C Corp had sufficient profits to allow the 70% exclusion for the year.

C Corp now owns 1050 shares that they have purchased for $21,000.
    What is their basis in G Conglomerate?

a) C Corp has paid $21,000 for 1050 shares. Their basis is $21,000.
    b) C Corp was not taxed on the full $1000, but only on $300. Their basis is thus the initial $20000 plus $300, or $21,300.
    c) Other (please explain).

a........................

Comment

a........................................
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Didn't Fool

Didn't fool many people with this one, in fact, didn't sucker many in to answering either.

I'm assuming Davc and BobW were answering "a" and not just clearing their throat....

Comment

snags, that's what i thought too, had to go back and look at posts. lol

Comment

Working...
          X