Off-topic: Adobe Reader warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-topic: Adobe Reader warning

When I go into TTB or another site and click one the available links that would take me to a form, pub, etc., I get this warning:

"Adobe PDF Document"

"The Abobe/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again"

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this, so I can resume my normal viewing habits?

Thanks,

D

You are using an earlier version of Adobe reader. Upgrade to 8 or 9.

Comment

Ar 8

Thank you Y2KEA. I checked this earlier and my list of programs listed AR 8. I then dowloaded 9.3 and have the same problem. Could something be preventing the computer from recognizing the program?

Everything was fine yesterday. Very weird!

Comment

Originally posted by DTS View Post
        Thank you Y2KEA. I checked this earlier and my list of programs listed AR 8. I then dowloaded 9.3 and have the same problem. Could something be preventing the computer from recognizing the program?

Everything was fine yesterday. Very weird!
        "Very weird" suggests a virus, but I don't want to alarm you.

You might completely uninstall Adobe. Erase the subdirectory even.
        Then go on the web and download and install anew.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Reboot

I know that sounds flip. But, sometimes you might have an earlier version and whatever defaults are set send things to that version. It's worth a try. Reboot and try again. If you haven't already, make sure your new version is installed over the old or the old was uninstalled prior to the new installation, so you don't have two versions on your computer at the same time. Did it happen on more than one web site?

Comment

Adobe Reader

I have had issues in the past - you can go to ICON Adobe Reader on your desktop and help and Repair Adobe Reader Installation.

If that doesn't work, then uninstall and go to Adobe web site and download and reinstall, you should be on Version 9+

Sandy

PS - Lion, is correct, also, you usually will be prompted for a reboot after downloading an update on Adobe.
            Last edited by S T; 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

Aol

I used to use AOL, and it did not play nice with Adobe Acrobat at that time. Lately, most of my bad interactions between programs occur after a MS update. When I'm lucky, they disappear in a few days after the next MS update includes a fix for the earlier update!

Comment

Thanks all,

I'll try all suggestions, but the subdirectory?? I did a reboot after the install of the new version update, but that did not seem to help. Maybe, the uninstall/reinstall will. I'll give that a try. I thought about calling the company, if this is still acting up, so I will see how it's doing today.

Thanks, again!

Comment

I'll try all suggestions, but the subdirectory?? I did a reboot after the install of the new version update, but that did not seem to help. Maybe, the uninstall/reinstall will. I'll give that a try. I thought about calling the company, if this is still acting up, so I will see how it's doing today.

Thanks, again!
                  The appropriate directory is Program files, then look for look for subdirectory "Adobe"
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Subdirectory

Got it! It shows AR from 6 to 9 in there.

Comment

Got it! It shows AR from 6 to 9 in there.
                      Good. You need to uninstall 6,7, and 8.
                      I just looked and saw AR 6,7, and 8. Under 6 and 7, there were not any executive programs that would run. So I went to Settings : control panel ; Add Remove programs and confirmed that these two were not still installed. Next I simply deleted those two subdirectories and confirmed that AR 8 still works.

Since you have 8 and 9, you might also want to remove 8, but first go to settings/control panel/ add remove programs and confirm that only 9 is still current.

Email me directly if you wish.

And then if I happen to see you in Las Vegas on August 9th or 10th, you can buy me a drink! (grin
                      Scotch; but you already know that.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Adobe stuff

I recently went to Adobe 9.3.2 (reader only).

There was a LOT of downloading/upgrading/deleting occurring at the time. IIRC, during the install process there was even some mention of "now removing older versions of Adobe."

You may wish to try the upgrade/download again, being absolutely certain that no other software is running at the time you try the installation.

Be certain your computer can handle the new version, paying attention to the capabilities of your system as well as the Win system (XP, Vista, etc) installed. You might inadvertently download the wrong installation program.

And it is true that sometimes things do not work properly until after a complete (cold start) reboot of your computer. If you have software that can check your registry, that also is an area to peruse if problems persist.

Good luck!

FE

Comment

Thanks,

Harlan and FE. Just arrived in to see your responses. I will do this tomorrow and, hopefully, take care of the problem. Deleting all the older versions, including the most recent sounds like the answer to this problem.

Harlan, thanks for the offer of allowing me to email you. I will see how it goes tomorrow and might do that, if I see it's going badly.

As for the drink in Las Vegas...I can't attend, but if you'd permit me to have a raincheck, I'll make good on my offer last year!

Comment

A bit more

Harlan and FE. Just arrived in to see your responses. I will do this tomorrow and, hopefully, take care of the problem. Deleting all the older versions, including the most recent sounds like the answer to this problem.
                            Sounds like a plan! As I said, I believe that during the software install the older versions are automatically removed.

One other thing: Be very certain that your web browser (IE/Firefox) is currently up to date, including service packs for MS stuff, before you do the download/install. (Run a Microsoft update!) Assuming you already have antivirus/firewall stuff on your computer, you may wish to opt out of the "optional" similar stuff that can be part of the Adobe download. Sometimes software conflicts might occur.

FE

Comment

Are you running this on Windows 7? I had the very same problem on my Windows 7 computer. It seems Adobe Reader doesn't always play nice with Windows 7.

I have finely got mine to work -and unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what I did to get it working. I believe it was uninstalling the old versions and then installing the new. There were also some settings to be tweaked. If you google the error message you will see lots of threads with various solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X