Intuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intuit

Just received an evaluation kit for intuit Pro"Series Tax software. Has anyone in this forum
    used this software before?

Evaluated

I evaluated it only when I was searching for software three years ago. It was good for the money. It was weak on AMT &/or Kiddie Tax or multi-states or some other issue I have on a handful of returns, so Intuit was going to give me a Lacerte license free to handle the returns too complex for ProSeries as pay per return in Lacerte. I didn't want to learn two new softwares at once, so went back to the drawing board looking at top tier programs. I found ProSeries more robust and good for a wider variety of returns than some designed for the W-2/RAL/in & out fast returns, such as ATX, Drake, etc. But, it's also pricier. One benefit that I liked: it was the best for importing from QB as it's an Intuit product, and I have a handful of clients who send me their QB files. I haven't looked at it again in three years.

Comment

I use Pro Series. I have never used any other software, so I can't tell you how it compares to other software. The only thing I can say is I am still in business after all of these years.

Comment

I have use it for 15 years

And I really like it. Unlike some programs where you have to select if you are doing a 1040 or a 1040EZ it knows what for to use. It works good on multi states. I had one this year where the husband worked in Mass, the fiance in Kansas and they both moved to NY after getting married.

I really like the planner feature. I must use it about 80-90 times a year.

I like the employer / W2 / 1099-R, etc database. If you enter in all the information once the next time you enter in an EIN it brings the address, etc forward.

Dusty

Comment

ProSeries...

here as well! This is only my second year using it BUT it's great! So far so good and I personally haven't experienced any problems with it. Recently I did a couple back year filings for a client going back to 2006 without a prob.

~maria
          Maria R., CRTP
          Los Angeles, CA
          Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

How about the cost?

Do you think there would be a problem of file transfers?

Comment

Transfers

I cannot answer that but I do know the offer transfers from other tax software. I would ask Intuit about it.

Dusty

Comment

Intuit costs

Can you provide a rough cost for their federal software AND how it works for states, especially those "additional" states which show up as the season progresses? My business is a one-person Sch C with <200 clients/year.

Last time I looked at Intuit they had a "one size fits all" cost that would have been reasonable for a multi-employee business, but hardly fit my needs.

Also, how do they handle efile costs?

(The software was good - and I prefer "forms" unlike the antique Q&A on some programs which more resemble a DOS interview - but I also like to fall back into the interview mode whenever I enter treacherous waters.)

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                  Can you provide a rough cost for their federal software AND how it works for states, especially those "additional" states which show up as the season progresses? My business is a one-person Sch C with <200 clients/year.

Last time I looked at Intuit they had a "one size fits all" cost that would have been reasonable for a multi-employee business, but hardly fit my needs.

(The software was good - and I prefer "forms" unlike the antique Q&A on some programs which more resemble a DOS interview - but I also like to fall back into the interview mode whenever I enter treacherous waters.)

FE
                  You can research all their products on ProSeries.com. They will even send you the 09 full disk for the cost of shipping or you can download it for free.

Which program in ProSeries you choose depends on the level of returns you do. I have always used Pro. Depending on how many clients you have for each type of return (1040, 1120 etc) you have the option of unlimited or pay per return on both federal and state.

The majority of returns I do are Hawaii state so I get unlimited 1040 and Hawaii State. The rest I pay per return. The disk you get or program you download includes every type of return and every state. You install what you use.

I have used it since 1994 and have found them to be very acceptable to suggestions to include or delete from the future years. I wouldn't even think of using a different program.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Cost

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

FE
                    I do not know what they are going to charge for last year - If I remember correctly I paid about $1,350 for unlimited 1040 - all states - free e-file. This included the client checklist (which I like). That provides a detailed checklist for each client of the forms they had last year.

I do very little 1041 - 1065 and no others so I just do those on a PPR basis.

I am a one man business with my wife making some phone calls.

Any other questions fire away.

Dusty

PS: I recommend getting a disk (as I do from other vendors every couple of years) and complete 10 returns in it completely. That way you get a good feel for how you do a return in that particular software.

Comment

Working...
                    X