Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone having problems with IRS mistakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone having problems with IRS mistakes?

I have had two clients phone me about withdrawal mistakes. One client owed $284. IRS deposited $2200 more than she was to pay. I asked if the figures she gave me for estimates were correct--she said yes. Told her not to spend the dollars. They would probably realize the error and take it back soon.

Second client was to have $16 withdrawn, IRS withdrew $61. Clearly a transposition somewhere. I will recheck my figures but there was a confirmation of the withdrawal of $16 for April 15.

I am a bit concerned and wandered if you have had any of this happen.

This has been a totally trying day for me. I locked myself totally out of the house. Thank goodness it wasn't last week. I couldn't get in the front, side or back of the house. I am very aggravated with myself.

Peachie

I had one client email me yesterday that on 3/25 they received a direct deposit on their refund of $5,212.59 and then on 4/16 they received a deposit of $409.61. Both from the IRS. The two deposits total just $.20 more than what we showed on the tax return. Since when does the IRS deal in cents before the interest is to kick in?

Comment

i go to turbotax live community every once in a while and i've noticed they have a lot of people complaining about what they were supposed to get for refunds and what they actually got as well as balance dues. however, seeing the questions posed i wonder, why are these people doing their own returns?

Comment

taxmom34....what is the link to this TurboTax community?

What is the link to TurboTax community?

Comment

i go to turbotax.com , then support, then upper right column for drop down menu and click on bottom, live community. i think that's how i get there, lol,. i don't read the stuff anymore

Comment

Has anyone had any problem with the IRS mailing a check instead of direct deposit? I have one that was efiled 03/31 should have been direct deposited almost 2 weeks ago. I looked it up on the IRS website it says it is scheduled to be mailed on the 30th of April. Problem is the taxpayer is not at the mailing address for the return (he's in service somewhere). Is there any intervention possible at this time?

Comment

I've had a direct deposit bounce and convert to check before when the taxpayer had closed their account (why they would close an account right after getting their taxes done and setup with a direct deposit is beyond me, perhaps their account was closed by the bank).

Comment

e-services

were useless today. I guess they are upgrading their modem to 56k.
                Last edited by veritas; 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Yesterday a client advised that IRS issued a refund where we asked that the overpayment
                  be applied to next years estimated tax.
                  Also yesterday a client received a CP2000 proposing to assess over $4,000 in additional
                  tax. A 1099-R reflected a gross amount of over $23,000 but only $1,180 was taxable as
                  reported on line 2a and the balance was rolled over. IRS is trying to tax the entire $23,000.
                  Last edited by dyne; 04-23-2010, 04:39 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Also yesterday a client received a CP2000 proposing to assess over $4,000 in additional
                    tax. A 1099-R reflected a gross amount of over $23,000 but only $1,180 was taxable as
                    reported on line 2a and the balance was rolled over. IRS is trying to tax the entire $23,000.
                    I had one like that last year. The weird thing was that the paper 1099-R showed the lesser taxable amount in box 2a, but the 1099-R image on e-services showed the full amount in 2a. Easily resolved with an explanation and a copy of the 1099-R.

Comment

Problems with ERP

3 of my clients have had problems with IRS errors concerning Economic Recovery Payment; the first 2 got money they shouldn't have, the last was missing $250 in refund. (He was a federal retiree with no SS so hadn't received $250 last year.) The client had called me but I hadn't seen the paperwork so I checked "Where's My Refund" on the IRS site and noticed that taxpayer could call between 7 am and 10 pm. So about 9 pm I called the number given on the online notice and got a response immediately--no hold time at all! (I am going to call late in the evening the next time I need to contact!) They had me fax a Schedule M and within 30 minutes I was told they had "adjusted the error" and taxpayer would receive the $250 but it would take "up to 4 weeks."

My fax and home phone are on the same line and she wanted me to stay on the line while I faxed--which was technically impossible. But I convinced the agent to call me back when she got the fax (which I gather is against IRS policy). Next time I will call from my cell so I have my land line available to fax.

Comment

Working...
                      X