Long TIme Homeowners HUD-1 signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long TIme Homeowners HUD-1 signatures

I'm in the process of preparing a 2009 return for a client who just closed last week on the purchase of a house.
    He and his wife qualify for Long Time Homebuyers, and I have all the 5 years' documents requested for submission for the credit.
    In looking at the HUD-1 settlement statement I don't see an area requesting signatures, and there are none on there.
    I know to have my client and his wife sign the form as buyers - but is it necessary to have the sellers' signatures as well?
    Are buyer signatures required?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Maybe this will help:

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Copies were probaly done before closing and never had the signature block on them. Have the clients contact the realator and request signed copies. If not, the IRS will send it back.

Comment

Some HUD-1 statements have a separate page with only the signature on it, so is someone is not aware of this, that page maybe unintentionally omitted.

The IRS as linked has the following statement:

Information regarding the 2009 Instructions for Form 5405,
        First-Time Homebuyer Credit and Repayment of the Credit

Note Regarding Settlement Statement: While the Form 5405 instructions indicate that a properly executed settlement statement should show the signatures of all parties, the IRS recognizes that the elements of the settlement document, often a Form HUD-1, may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and may not reflect the signatures of the buyer and seller. The settlement statement that must be attached to the return is considered to be properly executed if it is complete and valid according to local law. In locations where signatures are not required, the IRS encourages the buyer to sign the settlement statement prior to attaching it to the tax return even in cases where the settlement form does notinclude a signature line.

So one could have the buyer sign the HUD on page 1 next to their name.

Comment

What John Said

What John said...

Comment

most HUD statements do not have a signature area...IRS says just have them sign the document.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X