Software review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed from Taxslayer Pro to TRX

After 10 years of using TaxSlayer, we departed company this year. TS was too expensive for my needs. When I had a job besides tax prep, I paid little attention to my expenses. Times have changed and so have I. I tried to work out an amicable agreement with TS to no avail. However, now I know it was the best thing to happen to me in 2009.

I went with TRX Pro 1040 because it gave me the software I needed and all of the states, free electronic filing and a great review screen. The support was top notch. TRX converted all of my TS files flawlessly. I am a quick learner and knew that all tax programs have something in common and that’s where I began. I learned the basics fairly quickly and liked it more and more each time I “discovered” some new thing. For example, I discovered that whatever is on the forms side has a similar worksheet that matches it perfectly. For example, anything on the 1040 pages 1 and 2 are on the general info screen. There is a peek function that allows you to look at your actual forms after data entry if you choose to. I always wanted to check peek to see if TRX transferred my state tax refund for client’s that itemized the previous year. It did.

There is also a Review screen that offers input about something the program think you missed or wants you to take a look at. It offers a “fix” and takes you to where the correction or input should go. The few times I had a need for support, I always received expert and great support. One thing I enjoyed so much with TS was its support team. I am glad TRX made the switch easier for me.

Mainly, I loved the price and ease of use. I also received the business components as part of the lower priced fee. I never downloaded them because I had no need for them. I had a great tax season—a small increase in clients and an increase in revenue. I will be renewing with TRX on April 30 at the same price and they are adding a business feature into that price called Business Management Software. I am sure it’s exactly as the name implies.

I am all in with TRX. Your price is not suppose to change as long as you’re a member. This sounds good to me.

Peachie

Comment

... The demise of ATX has been predicted for a long time, but it has actually gotten better the past couple of years. ... No way to know what a big company like that will do because their decisions are driven entirely by what they THINK is in their best interests with little regard for the customers. But unless they engineer a buyout of Drake, they stand to lose a big chunk of business the day they kill ATX.
      It's not that CCH would "kill" ATX in the same sense that they "killed" Intellitax after they bought it. But CCH Small Firm Services now has two competing tax products - ATX and TaxWise. Both have unique features and faults. ATX has a very comprehensive set of forms and worksheets but is somewhat fragile. TaxWise has a very large user base because of its use by the IRS walk-in offices and the IRS out-reach programs (VITA, TCE), but has a number of annoying user "features" that are really bugs. Consolidating these two programs into a single entity makes good sense.

Comment

Still a quandry

I am still in a quandry about software. I have used TaxslayerPro since I went out on my own almost 10 years ago. I was very interested in trying ATX through TRX alliance, but I missed the boat on getting ATX and was sent the other program they had available. Whatever they sent me Taxwise or Taxworks, I didn't like. I just went back to TAxslayerPro.

TRX has called me and told me that they will give me the program free this year because of my problems last year. So I think I will accept their offer.

I will probably stay with TaxslayerPro one more year. I am going to get a Drake program and try it out. Then I will know which one I want to go with.

Since I do some business returns, I would have to buy the more expensive prrogram that TRX offers. So my savings is cut down quite a bit.

It is interesting how many on this board really like Drake.

Linda

Comment

Linda,

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
          Since I do some business returns, I would have to buy the more expensive prrogram that TRX offers. So my savings is cut down quite a bit.

It is interesting how many on this board really like Drake.

Linda
          take a look at the TRX promos. I think you can get the business modules at the cheaper rate just with no e-filing. To get it with e-filing is $599 but you get some other things as well including the Busness Management software. It's still a savngs over TSP should you decide to change. I admit, I had better luck with the software than you. Good luck with your decision. This time last year I was in the same boat.

Peachie

Comment

found my email

I just found my email from TRX Alliance. He said the product they are actually using now is a version of Taxworks. They had tried Taxwise last year and did not have good success with it.
            So what I would be getting now is a version of Taxworks. Peachie, is that what you have now?

I will let them send it to me and try it out on some of the returns I have left to do. I do efile my business returns too. But we would have to see the advantages.

I think I will be able to do some experimenting this summer. My mind is in a much better place now and am more organized.

Linda

Comment

TaxAct

I've been using TaxAct for about 10 years. It does everything I need at a reasonable price. I get all states and free e-filing for $569. This year it even included city forms for Michigan. Working in an athletic department at a University for nearly 12 years, I do several out of state returns and now it seems to be able to handle most part year resident returns very well.

I do about 140 returns each season and now have a day job as a controller for an oil company. Most of the returns I do are not very complicated. I often think about going out on my own and expanding my business. However, I think I would still stick w/ TaxAct. I use TaxAct's business software for a few 1120S and 1065s at my day job. The business software is easy to use and also priced right.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                BTW, my understanding is that nobody, but NObody received Taxwise via TRX this past year.

That would be wrong.

Comment

I switched over from ATX to Drake this tax season after 6yrs. The switch was pretty smooth except it would have been seamless if I had practiced much earlier with Drake. The program is fast and income allocations among states much more easier than ATX. You can pretty much handle more tax returns at a faster rate than with ATX. I'm happy I made the move. I tried to move my payroll clients from Quickbooks to Drake CWU which comes free when you buy Drake software everything was ok until I find out states payroll returns are still work-in-progress unlike Quickbooks. I began to feel unease when Bill Flurry (the man in charge of CWU) replied a question about NY MCTMT tax that management has not decided to include the form. This was in January of this year and this tax took effect in the 3rd Quarter of 2009. I quickly switched back to Quickbooks who already are up to date.
                  Overall, Drake itself is cool.

Kay, EA

Comment

Peachie,

I am testing TRX Pro, having used ATX for many years. I was able to get them to extend the offer till May 31st at $ 299+shipping and guaranteed annual renewal at that price. Will post my thoughts after more testing. Sounds like you are very satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                      It's not that CCH would "kill" ATX in the same sense that they "killed" Intellitax after they bought it. But CCH Small Firm Services now has two competing tax products - ATX and TaxWise. Both have unique features and faults. ATX has a very comprehensive set of forms and worksheets but is somewhat fragile. TaxWise has a very large user base because of its use by the IRS walk-in offices and the IRS out-reach programs (VITA, TCE), but has a number of annoying user "features" that are really bugs. Consolidating these two programs into a single entity makes good sense.
                      Don: On the surface this line of reasoning makes sense, especially to the MBA types who make these decisions in the sterile atmosphere of a conference room. And I agree with you, they are very likely to make that very type of seemingly common-sense decision.

But their lack of real-world experience lulls them into thinking you can run a business strictly by the numbers. Whereas they may calculate that losing 10%-20% of ATX customers to Drake would be tolerable simply by increasing the price they charge the existing and new TaxWise customers, they may fail to accept the fact that the attrition may be 50%-75%, and that much of a loss would require such a large price increase that they would begin to also drive TaxWise customers to competitors as well. Problem is, nobody will know until they actually pull the plug. If it works, the bonuses will be nice and their resumes will be appropriately padded. If it flops, they will have destroyed a very good product, damaged their customer base beyond repair, and cost the company a ton of money. But it won't really matter because they'll already be on to the next employer, leaving another mess in their wake.

As I see it, their insurance policy will be to dangle enough money in front of Drake that it becomes possible to can buy & control that threat. If I owned Drake, I'd be dressing up my balance sheet right now in expectation of the big payday.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I am not sure

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        I just found my email from TRX Alliance. He said the product they are actually using now is a version of Taxworks. They had tried Taxwise last year and did not have good success with it.
                        So what I would be getting now is a version of Taxworks. Peachie, is that what you have now?

I will let them send it to me and try it out on some of the returns I have left to do. I do efile my business returns too. But we would have to see the advantages.

I think I will be able to do some experimenting this summer. My mind is in a much better place now and am more organized.

Linda
                        what I have Linda because it came packaged as TRX Pro 1040. I have never used Taxworks so no help there either. Once you get the program they are sending let me know and if it's the one I have and you have questions, I will help you via e-mail or if you have messenger we can instant chat. I am glad you are willing to give it another try. I have really been happy. I am the person that lived and died by TSP, but no more.

Comment

Art, I am so pleased

Originally posted by Art View Post
                          Peachie,

I am testing TRX Pro, having used ATX for many years. I was able to get them to extend the offer till May 31st at $ 299+shipping and guaranteed annual renewal at that price. Will post my thoughts after more testing. Sounds like you are very satisfied.
                          I am not trying to be a mouthpiece for TRX but I was quite impressed. I am not easily impressed but I like things that work. The learning curve for me was quick and I am beyond my 50's. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at peachie1000@hotmail.com and I will be glad to try to answer them for you. Enjoy the software and don't try to make it what you enjoyed in the past. Enjoy the experience of learning something new.

One other thing I like about PRO was how quickly the updating was done relating to tax law changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                            That would be wrong.
                            Then I guess there is a reason not to even consider TRX in my software search this year.
                            You see, it was a TRX man who told me that. He evidently lied.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

ATX User

Well, I'll chime in here with a nod toward ATX. I have used it now for a decade and it has come light years since the beginning, having all the features I need. I feel it is a moderate price, around $1,000 for what I get, which is the full version, individual, corps, partnerships, estates and trusts, tax-exempts, payroll, W-2s, and all 50 states' versions of all these entities, includes efile, etc. It works quite well, has automatic updates via internet every day. Most of the time I have a problem, I find it is my fault in the way I input something. I have worked with them on improvements to my state's form(s) in the past. Anything cheaper would not do what I want, and I am unwilling to simply change for changes sake.

Comment

Taxwise

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                                That would be wrong.
                                I had Taxwise thru TRX this year. My second year with them but no more. They are not offering it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X