No announcement yet.

I hate it when I find my own mistakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rather find my OWN mistakes than someone else.

I would rather find my own mistakes than for someone else to find my mistakes.
    I was just thinking that I had not made a mistake in about five years when I discovered a mistake I made.

Comment

Nobody's perfect of course as we all know.

My favorite adage goes like this: "Show me a man who has never made a mistake,
      and I'll show you a man who's never done anything."
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Life's a lot simpler when you don't make any misteaks.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

And

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
          Life's a lot simpler when you don't make any misteaks.
          You would no, John
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I do not make many mistakes but I usually find my mistakes the NEXT day and that is
            why I ALWAYS hold my returns ONE or two days to check them and mull them over.
            I have awakened in the middle of the night realizing I make a mistake.

Comment

New Rule?

Originally posted by dyne View Post
              I do not make many mistakes but I usually find my mistakes the NEXT day and that is
              why I ALWAYS hold my returns ONE or two days to check them and mull them over.
              I have awakened in the middle of the night realizing I make a mistake.
              I might just make that a new rule... wouldn't have helped me this time... I would have had to hold it for a friggin YEAR! hahahaha
              "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

If they share the house,

Originally posted by jimenright View Post
                I don't think you can pass dependents back and forth for the best tax benefit. Read the "Tie Breaker Rules" TTB pg 3-17. They are either dependents of one person or the other depending on how they fit the dependency rules. They can't be shifted to one or the other.

It's the same with itemized deductions, they go to who is reponsible for paying them. You can't pass them around either.
                share the bills and even better if they share a checking account, you can move the deductions all around to best benefit of the taxpayers. Do it every day. The tie breaker rules dont apply if they agree.
                AJ, EA

Comment

Yepper!

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                  share the bills and even better if they share a checking account, you can move the deductions all around to best benefit of the taxpayers. Do it every day. The tie breaker rules dont apply if they agree.
                  Gracias! That's what I thought.
                  "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Where is that rule

that allows co habitants to pass around dependents and deductions to maximize tax refunds?

The only rule I can find that allows dependency to be reassigned is with a filed joint dependency statement.

With deductions:

RE taxes deduction only go to the owner of the real estate -- TTB pg 4-9

Mort Interest deduction only if Taxpayer is legally liable -- TTB pg 4-11

Medical deduction only for TP and dependent -- TTB pg 4-5

Similar rules for all other deductions. Where does it say you can give them to someone else whether they live together or not?

Comment

They share it all...

All of their accounts are co-mingled. They jointly own all of their property. They are both the natural parents of these children. They live happily together as a family and have for many years.

They are just not married.

I don't see an issue or argument here.

Comment

Working...
                      X