Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Study Guides for the "off season"

Who has great study guides for the "off season?"

I need to brush up on depreciation, especially. My old brain isn't holding on to what it learned so 15 years ago, and I don't get enough depreciation to keep it fresh. I am constantly looking things up.

I am also anxious about the qualifying exams for tax preparers. NATP has some materials that I have seen in their periodicals, but I was wondering what others here might say. I heard several years ago that WiseGuides (?) had a good EA Prep course. Is that still true?

Not real excited about taking an EA exam. I don't do Corporate, Estate or Trust returns. HOWEVER, it would serve me greatly to learn a little about them, since I do the personal returns that follow them. I would understand them so much better.

Right now, I have a looming issue where a single-owner LLC has a NOL, but she also has 2 K1's with large capital losses. I need to know where to go to figure out just exactly what gets included in the loss. (It will be carried forward, as last year's large loss was carried back 5 years by the CPA who did her returns.)

Thanks for any input~~
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Publications

I would start with the IRS Pubs re depreciation. I think we'll see NAEA and NATP and others publishing prep courses for the new preparers' exams as the year progresses. I hear Gleim mentioned a lot for the EA exam, and NAEA has an on-line instructor-led course using Gleim. I loved the HRB course and texts for the EA exam, but don't know if non-Blockheads can take Block courses anymore. Explore TTB and the continuing ed they offer.

Comment

thanks, I will...

I'll look into those. I also see another chat going on about CE courses. I usually do IRS forums but don't see anyplace I really want to go. I did a couple of NATP's last year, and a couple from CCH (Taxwise) but still need more BASIC refreshers that I just don't get there.

I don't know how I can do so many classes and still have unresolved tax issues in my office. It boggles my mind.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Local Chapters

Do you belong to any local chapters of NAEA or NATP or any other professional groups? They probably offer live courses at dinner meetings or an all-day on Saturday or whatever. And, lots of update courses, federal and state, in December and January. If you're in CT or NY, let me know and I'll tell you my favorites.
        Last edited by Lion; 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Va Ea

I did join the VA chapter of EA's even though I am not an EA.

I spend a lot of the off season in CT and took 2 NATP courses there last year. What are your fav's in CT?

Comment

I attend the two tax seminars furnished by NAPE and PTI each year, alternating each year between them. They have the seminars in nearby Charlotte, N.C. They are excellent but a little over my head at times as I no longer prepare anything other than 1040 individual tax. They are NOT basic, however. I recommend them both. Over the years I have tried other tax seminars and these are by far the BEST I have found! I have yet to find a correspondence course I really like.
            Last edited by dyne; 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

VA Tech

I attende the VA Tech CE classes for several years mostly because they were local, but most of the things they covered were for CPA's, attorneys and the like. Updates were the only topics I really understood. Not for 1040 (only) preparers.

Comment

Ny/ct Atp

I belong to NATP and know some of the people in the CT chapter, but have never gotten to any of their meetings. I hear the education is good. I belong to NAEA and the local CtSEA which has great meetings and education. Their next is combined with the IRS, CSCPA, CBA, and CtSEA on Wednesday 19 May 3 p.m. with two hours of CPE on IRS collection policy and issues and initiative in the collection function of IRS in Berlin, CT. (Meetings are often in Cromwell, CT.) Let me know if you need details, because NO late registration or payments at the door on this one.

My absolute favorite group is NY/CT-ATP. With both NY and CT preparers and annual dues of only $50, it's the best bargain around. They have six dinner meetings in Bethel with outstanding food and 1-2 credits each for about $30 each. Next one is Wednesday 19 May with a round table, open discussion of the past tax season, questions, venting, mutual help, etc. They have an all-day in October or so with 8 hours. Last year was CT, NY, MA, RI, NJ, and multiple state issues. They have a two-day with many vendors displaying in December for 16 hours if you attend both days. Last year's topics were Education Credits/Deductions, Roth Conversions with Tax Planning, Dependency Issues, Marriage Issues, and Updates for Federal, NY, and CT. They try to have the state specific courses at the end of the day, so you can skip those you don't need. They have a great web site with message board. You can look up members by the software they use or their location. They have a drawing for $250 scholarships for outside education. They have a committee and database to be matchmakers if you have a health problem and need help during tax season. I can get the 30 credits I need to satisfy NAEA through NY/CT-ATP alone. However, I won a scholarship last year, so invested in some pricey education through CCH, too. Oh yeah, if you attend the December seminar, you get a rebate of $20 per dinner meeting attended, dropping the dinners to only $10 per!!! NYCTATP.org

The NAEA monthly EA Journal has CE available.

If you use your CT address on things, you'll get on mailing lists. I now get the brochures from MaSEA and lots of groups that put on seminars in NYC, such as Thomson, Intuit, CCH, Janney (seminars in CT), etc.
                Last edited by Lion; 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Ny/ct-atp

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                  I belong to NATP and know some of the people in the CT chapter, but have never gotten to any of their meetings. I hear the education is good. I belong to NAEA and the local CtSEA which has great meetings and education. Their next is combined with the IRS, CSCPA, CBA, and CtSEA on Wednesday 19 May 3 p.m. with two hours of CPE on IRS collection policy and issues and initiative in the collection function of IRS in Berlin, CT. (Meetings are often in Cromwell, CT.) Let me know if you need details, because NO late registration or payments at the door on this one.

My absolute favorite group is NY/CT-ATP. With both NY and CT preparers and annual dues of only $50, it's the best bargain around. They have six dinner meetings in Bethel with outstanding food and 1-2 credits each for about $30 each. Next one is Wednesday 19 May with a round table, open discussion of the past tax season, questions, venting, mutual help, etc. They have an all-day in October or so with 8 hours. Last year was CT, NY, MA, RI, NJ, and multiple state issues. They have a two-day with many vendors displaying in December for 16 hours if you attend both days. Last year's topics were Education Credits/Deductions, Roth Conversions with Tax Planning, Dependency Issues, Marriage Issues, and Updates for Federal, NY, and CT. They try to have the state specific courses at the end of the day, so you can skip those you don't need. They have a great web site with message board. You can look up members by the software they use or their location. They have a drawing for $250 scholarships for outside education. They have a committee and database to be matchmakers if you have a health problem and need help during tax season. I can get the 30 credits I need to satisfy NAEA through NY/CT-ATP alone. However, I won a scholarship last year, so invested in some pricey education through CCH, too. Oh yeah, if you attend the December seminar, you get a rebate of $20 per dinner meeting attended, dropping the dinners to only $10 per!!! NYCTATP.org

The NAEA monthly EA Journal has CE available.

If you use your CT address on things, you'll get on mailing lists. I now get the brochures from MaSEA and lots of groups that put on seminars in NYC, such as Thomson, Intuit, CCH, Janney (seminars in CT), etc.

If I join that group, will you get credit for recruiting me?

I don't know how far Bethel is from Ellington/Vernon area, but I'd sure like to attend that roundtable, and I'll be in CT on the 19th.

Comment

Easy Drive

Easy Drive. Well, for Fairfield County, anyway, where people commute to NYC and NJ and.... Our daughter has an apartment in Vernon and works in Hartford. She's not much over an hour from us in Weston and was only 90 minutes away while at UConn. Bethel is north of us so closer to you in Vernon. You'd probably take I-84, maybe X 9 and then Rt. 6. Prime rib and a free drink at this meeting and 2 CEUs.

No credit for recruiting, just enjoy the group a lot so love to see it grow. You can make reservations on their site. In fact, if you join, I think your first dinner meeting is free! (I'd paid before I ever heard that, but have gotten huge benefits, such as a $250 scholarship, so I don't care.) If you have any problems with joining or reserving, just call the prez Emmett Gemme who is a gem!

Hope to see you 19 May. I'm the old gray-haired lady drinking a gin and tonic. Did I tell you NY/CT ATP subsidizes part of the cost of TTB and Lasser's?!

Comment

I'm on it!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                      Easy Drive. Well, for Fairfield County, anyway, where people commute to NYC and NJ and.... Our daughter has an apartment in Vernon and works in Hartford. She's not much over an hour from us in Weston and was only 90 minutes away while at UConn. Bethel is north of us so closer to you in Vernon. You'd probably take I-84, maybe X 9 and then Rt. 6. Prime rib and a free drink at this meeting and 2 CEUs.

No credit for recruiting, just enjoy the group a lot so love to see it grow. You can make reservations on their site. In fact, if you join, I think your first dinner meeting is free! (I'd paid before I ever heard that, but have gotten huge benefits, such as a $250 scholarship, so I don't care.) If you have any problems with joining or reserving, just call the prez Emmett Gemme who is a gem!

Hope to see you 19 May. I'm the old gray-haired lady drinking a gin and tonic. Did I tell you NY/CT ATP subsidizes part of the cost of TTB and Lasser's?!
                      I'll take care of this as soon as I can, and I'll look for you!
                      thanks!

Comment

Contact Info

Originally posted by dyne View Post
                        I attend the two tax seminars furnished by NAPE and PTI each year, alternating each year between them. They have the seminars in nearby Charlotte, N.C. They are excellent but a little over my head at times as I no longer prepare anything other than 1040 individual tax. They are NOT basic, however. Sometimes their instructors can be long-winded and boring, but nothing is perfect. I recommend them both. Over the years I have tried other tax seminars and these are by far the BEST
                        I have found! I have yet to find a correspondence course I really like.
                        Can you profide contact information on NAPE and PTI? I googled both without finding anything that looked relevant to taxation.

Comment

Possi
                          Are you taking an EA course? If you don't do any of the returns you mentioned and don't intend to do them then maybe you would just want to stick to the more basic stuff. My understanding of the tests to qualify and register with the IRS are going to be based only on 1040 and its forms.
                          The IRS is putting up a site that will include all of the seminars that will be included in their testing. I understand the testing will have two options...one without business/ rental returns and the other with. You can take the seminars for free or when you feel you are ready you can pay for 1hr CPE at 35. each. My understanding is that the IRS is going to be very clear on what you will need to know before the exam. And.....the exams are not expected until 2012 or 2013 I don't remember which.
                          I am sure with your years of experience you will not have a problem with preparer testing. It is not going to be anything like the EA exams.
                          The IRS has a publication that explains everything and continually updates the new preparer registration information.
                          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Not EA

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                            Possi
                            Are you taking an EA course? If you don't do any of the returns you mentioned and don't intend to do them then maybe you would just want to stick to the more basic stuff. My understanding of the tests to qualify and register with the IRS are going to be based only on 1040 and its forms.
                            The IRS is putting up a site that will include all of the seminars that will be included in their testing. I understand the testing will have two options...one without business/ rental returns and the other with. You can take the seminars for free or when you feel you are ready you can pay for 1hr CPE at 35. each. My understanding is that the IRS is going to be very clear on what you will need to know before the exam. And.....the exams are not expected until 2012 or 2013 I don't remember which.
                            I am sure with your years of experience you will not have a problem with preparer testing. It is not going to be anything like the EA exams.
                            The IRS has a publication that explains everything and continually updates the new preparer registration information.
                            No, I'm not taking the EA courses. But I will need to take the COMPLETE 1040 test with business and rental properties. I will take all the CE that I can. I always spend good money in the off season, for different classes. I enjoy it. The last ones I took in CT were really good and covered a lot of material. They were both NATP classes. The ones here in VA weren't very good. They were through the VaSEA that I joined last year.
                            Are the 1 hr CPE's online?

I swear, I am still so swamped with extensions that need to be addressed before the weekend that I haven't been able to check out the IRS website.

I'll still be online when I go on vacation, so I'll be able to read more then. Don't want to miss good classes OR fun places to go!

Comment

Ncpe

I'm not sure if dyne had a typo or if they meant NAPE. I've not heard of that one.

But NCPE - National Center for Professional Education - has excellent classes. Their website is www.ncpeseminars.com.
                              They do 2 day seminars on individual and one on corporate and partnership returns. They are expensive, in my opinion. But worth the money.

I took the courses several years ago and last year I took the corporate one again. The instructors are excellent. These are not your normal review of forms. They dig deep into different areas of the return. Lots of back up for what they say.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X