New Form 1040X requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Form 1040X requirements

For reasons outside of my control, I need to file several Forms 1040X for tax years 2007-2009.

My tax software (for those years) has fairly seamless federal/state amended returns as part of the original software. Type in a few numbers, write an explanation for the changes, and everything else takes care of itself.

Will the IRS ( and states? ) still accept those older versions, or will they return the amended return to ask for the information on the newer "improved" version that is now out?

FWIW: The changes are relatively minor on most of the returns (going from standard to Sch A and similar).

Thanks!

FE

They say to use the most current version, but who knows what they might do if an older version is submitted? Probably would just let it sail right on through, but why take the chance?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      They say to use the most current version, but who knows what they might do if an older version is submitted? Probably would just let it sail right on through, but why take the chance?
      Last I heard, maybe a month ago, was that they were't being picky on the issue.

I intend to use the old version tomorrow, however it won't be for processing, merely
      an attempt to reconcile client's correct income with the CP2000 notice.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

This is my logic:
        If I need to do a 1040X for a prior year I will use the 1040X provided for that year.
        My understanding is that this will be accepted by the IRS.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          This is my logic:
          If I need to do a 1040X for a prior year I will use the 1040X provided for that year.
          My understanding is that this will be accepted by the IRS.
          I have done a few prior year amended returns and I have used the forms for those years without any problem.
          If you are using the software to amend the return then it makes it very simple to copy the original to the 1040X. If you are doing it manually then it's a different ball game

brian
          Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

I have been using the old form for amending returns for years prior to 2009. In discusions with the district office the concensus of opinion is that the Service has no established policy yet regarding old form acceptance and it is up to the individual at the Service who is processing the amended return. I always send mine to specific individuals at the district office and have had no problems.

Comment

Software

Update your software for that year before preparing the amendment. Some software companies are updating Form 1040X year by year.

Comment

Software is current

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                Update your software for that year before preparing the amendment. Some software companies are updating Form 1040X year by year.
                Updates are all current. We are talking about 2007-2009, and a 2006 that just "passed."

As others have noted, it is far simpler to use the 1040X/stateX with the existing 200? software and client data as opposed to starting from scratch with the "new" forms, including those online and in a PDF format that can be changed/saved.

FE

Comment

Agree

I agree. That's why I said to update that year's software and then prepare the Form 1040X in it. My software is updating prior years to include the new IRS 1040X.

Comment

my suspicion

I have a suspicion that the new 1040X is part of the preparation to allow efile of amended 1040s.

I do know that I have seen something that said using the 1040X for prior years is just fine with the IRS - of course, I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by abby View Post
                      I have a suspicion that the new 1040X is part of the preparation to allow efile of amended 1040s.

I do know that I have seen something that said using the 1040X for prior years is just fine with the IRS - of course, I wish I could remember where I saw that.
                      You are correct on both counts.

Down in these parts, Alabama tossed out their form 40x last year. Any "amended'
                      return is simply a corrected return with a certain box also checked on the front.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                      X