2008 Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Tax Return

I am doing a 2008 tax return and client does not think he received the 2008 economic stimulas payment. I know in 2009 we could check on IRS website to confirm if taxpayer already received, but can no longer do that on website. Is there another way to verify or should I just base on client's memory (kinda of scary......), and submit as not received?

You could just submit it as not received and tell the client IRS will adjust it if necessary. Since they are filing late, a little more delay or a change shouldn't rattle them. As long as they know you're deciding the unknown in their favor, they should appreciate the effort.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Client can get the information from the IRS
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        You could just submit it as not received and tell the client IRS will adjust it if necessary. Since they are filing late, a little more delay or a change shouldn't rattle them. As long as they know you're deciding the unknown in their favor, they should appreciate the effort.
        This is a good idea. It is a big deal to get info now - I tried. But since my client was sure he didn't get it, I included it - but we all know how that goes and not putting it in and having the IRS adjust is a better idea. Will they though? ah that is the question.
        JG

Comment

My 2ยข worth

I think a simple telephone call, by the client, to 1-800-829-1040 would have solved the problem quite easily beforehand.

FWIW - Good money is client did get the money, barring error on prior year return and/or income issues. A copy of the prior year return would provide great insight!

FE

Comment

That's the point - it isn't a simple phone call. The TP has to call. And since a year has passed we are not 3rd party any more. The only way it would work well is if the taxpayer was in the office. Or get a POA. but in my case the client was gone and I tried and it took a long time and I couldn't do it anyway.
            JG

Comment

All good suggestions, but don't we all know these folks? Keep in mind that this client can't even get around to filing the return in a year. Ask them to get more info and it's likely to be next year before you have your answer, assuming they ever come up with one..

I'd prepare the thing as not received, tell the client there might be an adjustment, get paid, and move on.

(Of course I'd ask the client to check on the rebate before I did all this and maybe give them a week to get me an answer. But since I already know they aren't going to follow through, I'd just proceed with preparing the return and have it ready when they, as expected, don't produce any useful info.).
              Last edited by JohnH; 04-20-2010, 09:09 PM.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

A difficult call?

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
                That's the point - it isn't a simple phone call. The TP has to call. And since a year has passed we are not 3rd party any more. The only way it would work well is if the taxpayer was in the office. Or get a POA. but in my case the client was gone and I tried and it took a long time and I couldn't do it anyway.
                I guess I fail to see how it would be a problem for the client to call. Unless the client is unable to communicate, the call should take no more than a couple of minutes. ("Here's my name, here's my SSN, how much did I receive via the 2008 Economic Stimulus Payment?")

See http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...185471,00.html

And if that does not work, most telephones these days are fully capable of three-way calling! I've made many such calls this season with client authorizing/listening and me asking the questions (IRS/stockbrokers/banks/more). Such can be done at the same time you are talking to the client about any other tax matters, and certainly does not require him to be in my office. There is no additional cost to me, and such is generally preferable to having a client visit my workplace for the "simple" stuff.

I would never in a lifetime think about filing a POA for something so trivial!

Otherwise I would either toss the return in the "September pile" or assume he got the money and just move onward.

As many have noted: "You can't fix stupid!!"

FE

Comment

Working...
                X