Box 1 & Box 3 W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box 1 & Box 3 W-2

I have client with about 5K differance between box 1 & box 3 income(box 1 is 5K bigger than box 3), not due to paying up his SS tax. He is a installer of some sort and his employer doesn't tax his commissions. My question is am I suppose to include in his return somewhere an amount for unpaid SS tax i.e. SE tax? I have not come accross this before. I guess this the balance for another one I got this year where a guy doen't SS tax at all, he work for a government agency. Thank you for any help.

In the second instance some govt employees are exempt from ss tax ,however they do pay medicare tax.

As far as the current w2 there seems to be a problem. SS tax is supposed to be withheld from commissions. What is the amt in box 5
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Box 5

Amount in Box 5 is the same as Box 3. This is a small company and perhaps there was an error on the W-2's

Comment

Most likely that is the problem. Send him to get a corrected w2
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Silly question...

Did client reach the cap for Soc Security wages?

Bill

Comment

Silly Question

Bill
            He is a long way from capping out SS income. I think I will do as Brian says and have him get a corrected W-2. Thanks for the input.
            Last edited by LawrenceGR; 03-07-2006, 03:27 PM.

Comment

New Info

I talked to the owner of the business she told me her software printed up the w-2's that way. She said she has always done it that way. I am just going to send it through that way, I have given her almost a week to get back with me and she hasn't. Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by LawrenceGR
                I talked to the owner of the business she told me her software printed up the w-2's that way. She said she has always done it that way. I am just going to send it through that way, I have given her almost a week to get back with me and she hasn't. Anyone have any other ideas?
                Ask the client for his last pay stub. That may have todate figures for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                X