This is Why They Need Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Why They Need Us

Client told me today he had carefully reviewed his tax return and found only one error. The amount for tax preparation on Sche A was not the same as the invoice I just gave him.

You did thank him for the heads up and tell him to pay the greater of the two - right?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Why should it be?

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Client told me today he had carefully reviewed his tax return and found only one error. The amount for tax preparation on Sche A was not the same as the invoice I just gave him.
        I'm missing something Burke. If you just gave him the invoice, and he is a cash basis taxpayer, he can't put that on Schedule A until his 2010 return.

He can put the tax prep fee for 2008 on his return, assuming he paid it in 2009. Fact of the matter, they've fixed it so the 2% almost always washes out the deductibility of our fees.

Comment

You are absolutely right, Edsel. (We have just got to get that sarcasm font.)

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Hilarious. Sarcasm read loud & clear.

Comment

Client very happy and excited about long time homebuyer credit. All documention was perfect with 1098s going back 5 years, HUD-1 all nice and signed.......and with a closing date of 06/30/09

Haven't been able to reach them all day. I hope they're not out spending that $6500 they aren't going to get.

Comment

Guess

The client overlooked the effective date

How Sad!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                  Client very happy and excited about long time homebuyer credit. All documention was perfect with 1098s going back 5 years, HUD-1 all nice and signed.......and with a closing date of 06/30/09

Haven't been able to reach them all day. I hope they're not out spending that $6500 they aren't going to get.
                  That's a bummer. And a lot of work, too, putting all that documentation together. I put a lot of work into assembling nice fat packages to support the 5405, and charge kinda strong for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                    Hilarious. Sarcasm read loud & clear.
                    I have decided sarcasm is too harsh a word and not really intended on my part.. More like a tongue-in-cheek comment. How about an icon -- a face with a tongue in the cheek? That would alert to you what is coming.

Comment

I suggest a different approach. I don't think sarcasm should be flagged.

The challenge with sarcasm is its subtlety. Sometimes it's interesting when I miss the sarcasm the first time around and then pick up on it when others post pile on with their sarcastic reponses. That way I have a good laugh at the original thought plus a laugh on myself as well - usually because I was taking myself too seriously in the first place & missed the point. Iron sharpens iron and all that good stuff...
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Mmmmmm.....good point!

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                          That's a bummer. And a lot of work, too, putting all that documentation together. I put a lot of work into assembling nice fat packages to support the 5405, and charge kinda strong for it.
                          She's the one who put all the docs together. Not returning my phone calls. Probably out spending that nice refund

Comment

I think it's important to laugh at myself once in a while.
                            Others are constantly doing it - I may as well join in the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                              I have a good laugh at the original thought plus a laugh on myself as well - usually because I was taking myself too seriously in the first place & missed the point. Iron sharpens iron and all that good stuff...
                              So true, and necessary for me too.
                              Last edited by BP.; 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X