Hope Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope Credit

Last year, I filed a return claiming the Lifetime Learning credit and realized later that I had goofed and that should have been the Hope Credit as she met all the qualifications. I filed and ammendment for them claiming the difference. When I got their stuff for this year, there's a letter in there from the IRS disallowing that claim saying that the Lifetime and Hope Credit can't both be claimed--duh! I was trying to change the Lifetime to Hope as that would've meant more $ for them. Then the letter says if they disagree with the decision they can take it to court, can this not be resolved more simply? And am I wrong, once you claim one you can't change to the other? Advice?

You can...

Yes you can on an amended return.

But you need to be sure that when you amended the return, you removed the Lifetime Learning Credit and spelled it out clearly in the explanation area.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I did that! I'm on the return as a 3rd party designee, can I just call to resolve this?

Comment

You can try, but letter might be more effective at this point in the game. Why don't they call us when they get these letters? Embarrassed? I try to emphasize, if you receive ANY correspondence......

Comment

I think its this fear of the IRS, they were probably going to let it go. We did everything right, what's to fear!

Comment

IRS is wrong, you are right!

Comment

Working...
            X