IRS not receiving POA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS not receiving POA

I prepared forms 2848 (POA) for a client about a month ago and another 7 days ago. When I tried to go into these clients' file through eService I kept getting message they don't have it in file yet. I'm in NY and faxed to 901-546-4115.

Please, could someone tell me what could be wrong?

Kay
    NY

I think the primary reason is that the IRS is all fouled up. I sent one in with multiple years on it. It was returned to the client telling them that there must be a separate return for each year.
    There is a thread on this issue. From the information others provided, even their instructions say you can put 4 years on it.

Try calling the tax pro hotline at 866-860-4259. They can let you fax it to them and get it entered while you are on the line, so you will need two phone lines - one for the call and one to fax with.

I personally am beginning to think that all the ridiculous letters, notices, etc are a method that IRS employees are using to delay having to deal with things since so many are pulled off to deal with FTHB credit. Just my opinion.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

e-Services

As long as you have the signed POA already anyway, just enter it on e-Services and you're good to go.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

Kay, EA

Comment

eservices

Going on to e services is a great way to get the information immediately. Our only issue with that program is that you need one of the three previous years AGI for the client in order to process it. If a client is filing separate, it won't work. If a client hasn't filed in 3 or more years, it won't work. You have to do it the old fashioned way by faxing and calling and calling can put you out an hour or so (in my experience anyways) to get the faxes, assuming you have two phone lines as mentioned earlier. It's nice to see the IRS going in this direction anyways and encouraging. It'll get better.

Comment

You could call the hotline for what you need. If you only have one phone line use your cel phone to call them and you will be able to use your fax line to fax the POA to them while you are talking with them.

The bummer is having to wait so long for them to answer. I just put the phone on speaker and keep working until they answer the call. The hotline will file the POA for you and you also get the information you need nearly instantly. Tell them what you need. If it involves several years or they need to find the informationi, they will fax it to you as soon as they have it. I have been told I would have it within 24 hrs and usually get it within one or two.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X