Gross income test for dependent father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gross income test for dependent father

I have a single taxpayer whose father is living full time with her in her home. She provides all of his food, housing, clothing, etc. His only income is a $1,000 social security benefit after a medicare payment deduction. Page 3-15 of the tax book shows he qualifies in all categories, exceot the goss income test. On page 3-19 it shows the certain social security benefits are taxable ( I assume this refers to those filing a return with the modified income of aver $25,000). It also shows the certain SS benefits are non-taxable. Does the SS benefits count toward $3,650 gross income test? If not, would the father qualify as the daugher's dpendent and also allow her to claim the HOF filing status?

Social Security does not count as taxable income for the gross income test. But it counts as support. I assume father receives $1000 monthly. If all of his SS is used for his support, daughter would need to come up (including housing) with more than that to meet the 50% support test.

Comment

SS is partially taxable if there is other income. If all he gets is SS he is not required to file.

Does
      TP provide more than 1/2 of dad's support. I would have to look at the regs again to verify that mom/s SS has to go toward his support. If his SS exceeds what the TP spends for dad/s support then he cannot be taken as a dependent. If it doesn't then he can.
      Last edited by taxea; 04-09-2010, 04:12 AM.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
      X