Heifers for breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heifers for breeding

Just curious to get a consensus on when you put purchased heifers for breeding on your farm depreciation schedule?

Purchased heifers, approximately one year old, in 2009. In the pasture with the bull.

Do you put them on the depreciation when you purchased them, 2009?

Or wait until they have their first calf in 2010?
    Jiggers, EA

I would

put them on at the time of purchase, but I have not done any research.

Comment

I put purchased heifers on the depreciation sheet when put into service. If they are in with the bull, I would say they are put into service.

Comment

And, they...

And, they would say they are put into service!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          And, they would say they are put into service!
          So would the bull!

Comment

Yes,

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
            ...If they are in with the bull, I would say they are put into service.
            but an IRS agent might say you must prove that these heifers have been promiscuous.

Comment

Thank You

Oh I love this message board! With clients trying to use me as a marriage counciler and other wanting the energy credits for a window fan I can come here and see that others have worse problems than I do

Comment

But

But, the heifers have NOT been promiscuous. Each heifer has been with only one bull. It's the bull that's promiscuous!

Comment

Bullseye!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                  But, the heifers have NOT been promiscuous. Each heifer has been with only one bull. It's the bull that's promiscuous!
                  And touche! A penetrating observation by a country girl if I may say so, Ms. Fairfield County. I stand corrected and, I assume, the bull stands ready.
                  Last edited by Black Bart; 04-08-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

So this farmer is talking to his friend out by the pasture and the friend notices that his bull is pretty aggressive in taking turns with the heifers.

The friend asks "Isn't that the bull you were complaining about a few weeks ago? I thought you said he'd lost interest in the heifers."

The farmer replies, "Yep, that's the same bull. The vet gave me this little bottle of liquid to put in his water and he perked right up. Turned him into a first-class bull."

The friend comments, "Not bad. What's in the bottle?"

The farmer replies, "Dunno, but it tastes a little like peppermint."
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Il

This Fairfield County gal owns farmland in the heart of IL bought by my Grandpa in the 1800s. Just grow corn and beans now, though, no animals any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X