X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day of wacky questions

Taking a mental health moment- 'cause the questions today are kooky:

"How much tax will it save me if I give my kids money for last year?"

"I'm going to exercise some stock options. Can I sell the stock to my kids for $1 so I don't have to pay tax?"

"You said I can't claim my baby (born in Feb 2010) but my brother claimed his newborn- so what's up with that?" "When was his baby born?" "December."

"My friend's preparer takes deductions for what she spends on her kids' soccer. Can I?"
    (Kids 14 & 17, so not even remotely "child care.")

From an employee, no biz- "If I incorporate, what extra deductions can I take?"

Really? You all saved these up for today?

Wacky all around

True story....

After several minutes and more than a few questions trying to get the TP to divulge all their self-employment income, the TP finally stands up in a huff and proclaims,
    "Why are you asking me how much money I made, it's none of your business how much money I made. Is this how you treat all your customers, asking them personal questions like how much money they made?"

You can't make this stuff up.....
    That's all I have to say ... for now.

Moses A.
    Enrolled Agent

Comment

What all can I deduct?

Client: (Sitting down) Can we sit down sometime and you explain to me what all I can deduct in my small business?

Me: Whatever you spend for a legitimate business purpose.

(OK, I know that is a smart-alek response (but they don't), and I do explain further, but good grief, why do people think there's some mystery about "what all I can deduct"? Are they really just asking me, "How creative can I be in deducting my personal expenses as business expenses?" Huh? Is that it? Cause I am soooo tired of that question.)

Client: Why didn't you deduct these bad checks I put on here?

Me: Did you subtract them from your income in THAT figure you gave me?

Client: Well, yeah. They're bad.

Me: That's why.

(Really?!? Why is it that we have to go over that with EVERY beauty shop owner EVERY year? AND, no, you can't deduct what you didn't charge for your "do-overs.")
      Last edited by RitaB; 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Yeah, really

Client: How come we owe this year?

Me: Well, it's just a matter of too little withholding, which is fine as long as you're not paying penalties and interest. Hubby only had 5% withheld, and you only had 3% withheld.

Client: Oh, so they're only holding out 8%?

THIS is why our jobs are hard, people. It's not the code.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

dog

Client came in yesterday and gave me his page with his expenses on it. He has a barber/beauty shop. He bought a dog and called it his shop mascot and wanted to deduct the cost of the dog and care for it. I told him he couldn't take the dog. He said it really was the shop's mascot. It stayed in the shop every day and entertained the clients.

A few years ago he had a german shepherd that stayed on the property at night as a guard dog. That I let him take.

Crazy people!!!

Linda

Comment

Lol!

Thanks guys for the ccomic relief. These are funny!

Peachie

Comment

Working...
            X