long term care payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long term care payments

Client is receiving long term care payments for which she is paying for long term care. My question is I know we can't double dip and take these expenses as medical schedule A but she has other expenses which are not really related to long term care such as doctors, dentist, drugs, deductables etc. These should qualify for sch A deductions even if the long term care payments she is getting are more than her long term care cost in 2009.

Thanks

Bucky

Didn't your

client receive a 1099-LTC?

Also my experience has been once you start collecting on the policy you no longer pay premiums.

Comment

I would say that any medical expenses not directly related or paid for long term care would be deductible...i.e. what kind of long term care is the TP getting..,.you would have to be able to prove that the items deducted did not include any expenses that are a result of whatever the longterm care is paying for,.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I have another puzzling question about Long Term Care benefits received.

Last year, the taxpayer received about $75K in LTC benefits reported on the 1099-LTC bumped against approx the same amount in expenses.

However, this year they received $75K in benefits bumped against the same amount of expenses, but the 1099-LTC showed only $20K in LTC benefits. Is there any way that should happen? Maybe a return of premiums or something odd about the way LTC benefits are reported?

My first thought was simply a paperwork error by the LTC provideer, but I'm wondering if there's some way this 1099-LTC would be correct.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
        X