Car or Van pooling pg 10-5 TTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car or Van pooling pg 10-5 TTB

Does pg 10-5 of TTB cover all there is to know about whether there are any Fed tax benefits to car or van pooling?

Benefits

Well, a company can deduct qualified transportation expenses paid to employees, and the employees do not have to include them in income up to the qualifying amounts. But, that takes place before the W-2, so we as preparers don't have much to do about that. What specifically do you want to know?

Comment

Lion, just checking, its really nothing

Client put "vanpooling" in section of my tax organizer that "is there anything that was not on ths tax organizer that you feel may impact your tax return?"

Thanks for your help

Comment

Employer?

Is he the employer or employee?

Comment

Lion, the employee

Lion, my client is the employee

Comment

Does the employer supply the van or is it from a vanpooling state or C&C program?
            Who pays for the gas? Usually this is split among the riders....I don't see any deduction here.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
              Does pg 10-5 of TTB cover all there is to know about whether there are any Fed tax benefits to car or van pooling?
              Employees receive no benefit for doing the car or van pooling on their own (TTB pg 10-5).

However, if the employer is providing the cost of car or van pooling, the benefit might qualify to be excluded from the employee's taxable income. See TTB page 13-27 for employer provided transporation benefits.

Comment

Working...
              X