Business Start Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Start Up

Taxpayer (Schedule C) started a small business in 2008, had income, and we used start up expenses under the expense election.

Now in 2009, taxpayer has done nothing more with the business- it is dormant, do I have to do anything with the start up expenses claimed in 2008 - such as claim as income?

Maybe just show no income in 2009 and hope that he does something with business in 2010.

I hate these

Sandy

OK. This is an unscientific answer. But since we can take expenses when a business fails (TTB 8-19) would this not be in the same category? But I can see a problem between Sch C deduction and Sch D loss.

I have a client that is deciding if in or out of business. Idle or out. If out I'll convert the things that have to be converted into Sch C income through Part V 4797.

Maybe someone else has an opinion on the start up costs.
    JG

Comment

I'd leave it as still operating. Maybe they'll hit the jackpot in 2010, ya never know

Comment

Thank you

As I said I hate these new "little" startups - get rich, make millions overnight businesses.

I had laid out all of the rules, yes everyone understood, and here we are a year later, "dormant" and the distinct possibility that they will not operate in 2010.

Who am I to judge, it is the taxpayers $$ down the drain lining the pockets of whomever the seminar promoter is. Actually the Taxpayer spent a lot more money than he received tax $$ relief from.

JG and B Hoffman thanks for your input - it at least will let me sleep tonight

Sandy

Comment

Working...
        X