EA study material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA study material?

Are there any study guides for the EA exam that are better than others? I have looked on the internet and found quite a few different ones some really expensive and others quite cheap.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look,what to get, and can you find used ones or is it better to purchase new?

Superman

I highly reccomend the Gleim materials.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

EA exam

Superman, I highly recommend you go to NAEA's home page and navigate to find the page on how to prepare and study for the exam.

But you probably already have, right?
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I went there!

and that is where I saw a bunch of different companies listed for study material. The pricing varied so widely that I did not know if you spent say $900 for materials how much better is it over meterial that cost $300.

Just wanted to get some opinions from people that have used some of these materials to see if the extra money is worth it. I guess I am being cheap.

Superman

Comment

I asked the same thing last year. I'll find the thread. There were a lot of great replies.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
          Last edited by powerage; 04-02-2010, 07:13 PM. Reason: info
          If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Naea

NAEA has an online, live study course that uses, I think, Gleim materials. Check it out on their site. I loved the HRB texts and course, but don't know if they allow non-Blockers to take their courses anymore.

Comment

Only used printed tax reference materials

When I studied for the EA exam about 3 years ago (took it the first time it was available online), I mainly used printed materials readily available to the tax preparer: Quickfinder (1040 and Business), Pub 17, some IRS forms and instructions. (That was before I became familiar with The Tax Book; now I might substitute that for Quickfinder!) Note: pay particular attention to examples in IRS pubs and form instructions; it seemed like there were similar questions on the exam--just a few numbers were changed.

I would study a section in one of the books, take notes, type them up on my computer and gradually revise my notes as I came across additional relevant information on a given topic from a new source. I ended up with 100+ typed pages of notes personally created to cover topics where I felt deficient. I also had access to some old exam questions online and from Block's printed materials. However, it seemed to me that it was better to study a topic systematically, not in a random Q & A format from drill programs. I had not done estate, partnership and corporate returns before so I found it helpful to actually do (paper and pencil) the advanced complete returns in QF for those topics.

I was too cheap to spend hundreds of dollars on Gleim or similar commercial products. So I spent a lot of time studying on my own...and I passed all 3 parts the first time. And all it cost me was an additional ink cartridge or two. (My employer reimbursed me the cost for taking the test after I passed.)

Comment

I found that prior year exams were the best way to go.
                HRB used to allow EA's to take their courses. Don't know whether they still do.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

HRB for the most part no longer allows outside people to take their classes w/o permission from upper management. This is unfortunate as they were a good chance to meet people and get different perspectives on things. The main reason for the change is that most of the HRB classes are now self-study online. As someone who does 200+ hours of class a year I appreciate that change

One bit of advice for people seeking their EA would be to see if you can form a study group. I did this locally for my HRB district last year and got 8 people through the tests! (I'm proud to say we were a perfect 25 for 25 on the tests). Post where you live and ask the rest of the board if they are close... or know anybody that is close... and see if you can get a study partner or 3. You can also message me and I'll include you on my email list for EA candidates for this year.

Comment

Think I will take the plunge this year, too. Have read about many of your successes over the past few years in achieving your EA's - very impressive. My business became very busy from the start 13 years ago, and so I have stayed focused on individuals and sole props- so I am quite nervous about the partnership/corp aspects of the exam. Thanks for all the tips here on study methods/materials/groups. I am in the western suburbs of Philly and would love to connect with anyone else with plans to go the EA route.
                    Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                      Think I will take the plunge this year, too. Have read about many of your successes over the past few years in achieving your EA's - very impressive. My business became very busy from the start 13 years ago, and so I have stayed focused on individuals and sole props- so I am quite nervous about the partnership/corp aspects of the exam. Thanks for all the tips here on study methods/materials/groups. I am in the western suburbs of Philly and would love to connect with anyone else with plans to go the EA route.
                      Barbara
                      Atta girl, Barb! GO for it.

NAEA just posted a link which may be of interest which see:

CX Today is the leading online publication for Customer Experience News including; Contact Centre, CRM, Artificial Intelligence and more
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I purposely made myself accountable to my friends around the water cooler here by making my declaration. Thank you, Harlan, for being the first to offer me much needed encouragement. I am not surprised.

As a further sign, my mail today included an NATP EA exam brochure.

Comment

You and I prepare

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                          I purposely made myself accountable to my friends around the water cooler here by making my declaration. Thank you, Harlan, for being the first to offer me much needed encouragement. I am not surprised.

As a further sign, my mail today included an NATP EA exam brochure.
                          the same kind of returns and have the same issues when it comes to what we know. Harlan, too has encouraged me to try for the exam, as did NATP's brochure received today. I am really green about the entities. I have done one C-corp and one partnership. I did a lot of reading and comprehending to complete them and have not attempted again. I think the EA designation would be nice. I am going to check into resources mentioned here and others. Very good suggestions here. I think my first resource will be TTB.

Peachie

Comment

Although I'm a member and supporter of NAEA, from time to time have availed meself of NATP's excellent courses. One I can remember going for an 8 hour session up in
                            Hotlanta on corporations. This was back a ways in time and I found it very thorough.
                            Their annual brochure on course offerings in various cities will give more details.
                            It may even be online.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                            X