Self Employed Health Insurance Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Employed Health Insurance Deduction

I know the Self-Employed health insurance deduction is only for those who are not eligible to participate in a spouses employer health subsidized plan. I have a MFS TP with Self-Employed Health Insurance that wasn't deductible before because he could have been on his wife's plan. They have since split up, but not divorced and being on her plan, if she even has one now, is not an option for him--Even though he may be "technically" eligible if she has a plan available. I told him he can take the deduction for the months that wasn't an option for him, but I re-thinking on that. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
    I know the Self-Employed health insurance deduction is only for those who are not eligible to participate in a spouses employer health subsidized plan. I have a MFS TP with Self-Employed Health Insurance that wasn't deductible before because he could have been on his wife's plan. They have since split up, but not divorced and being on her plan, if she even has one now, is not an option for him--Even though he may be "technically" eligible if she has a plan available. I told him he can take the deduction for the months that wasn't an option for him, but I re-thinking on that. Any ideas?
    Yep. I've an idea that you're dead on.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Guy probably does not qualify

There is a big difference between "is not an option" versus "being eligible for coverage."

So long as the marriage is intact, your client may still be "eligible" to be on his wife's plan.

That pretty much would be the end of the story for now....

FE

Comment

Working...
      X