Educator exps deductions on average...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educator exps deductions on average...

What is the highest you have seen for a salary grade school public teacher?

Also, do you deduct exps on pg 1 of form 1040 for exps claimed by a volunteer teacher for a church group?

Or does that belong as a charitable contributon on Sch A?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

Also, do you deduct exps on pg 1 of form 1040 for exps claimed by a volunteer teacher for a church group?

K>3RD uses a lot of rewards. Those that keep count for this group are between $2,000 and $3,000. This includes pretzels and candy and is a daily/weekly item. Room decorations and other expenditure that are not provided nor expected for the school to pay for. Many schools now require internet access for lesson plans, grades and more.So I don't think this amount is excessive.

As far as the $250 issue, I show a negative 250 on schedule A.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

1. $850 - $1,000.
      2. No. Teacher exp only for grade K-12 teachers.
      3. Yes.

Comment

My teachers

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

I had one public school teacher with a little over $500 in expenses. Most say, "Put the standard deduction" and I have to tell em "it's what you actually spent." Then you get the whole, "Well, the teacher next door..." Aaugh!

Agree, expenses for a church volunteer will have to go on Schedule A.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          As far as the $250 issue, I show a negative 250 on schedule A.
          Sorry, you lost me there. A negative $250?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Sorry, you lost me there. A negative $250?
            Sorry, when I complete the schedule A misc I then enter a negative 250 and bring that to page one for the educator expense deduction.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Oh. Your software doesn't do that automatically when you enter info for Line 23 on 1040?

Comment

Negative $ 250

I suppose a negative figure could be used if someone entered $ 500 as total expense on Schedule A, then backed out the $ 250 that goes on page one. That would signify that the same $ 250 wasn't deducted twice.

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
                  I suppose a negative figure could be used if someone entered $ 500 as total expense on Schedule A, then backed out the $ 250 that goes on page one. That would signify that the same $ 250 wasn't deducted twice.
                  That is why I do it.

Teachers here on Long Island earn in excess of $85,000
                  Last edited by BOB W; 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Never thought of that. I just enter total on Line 23 worksheet of 1040 and it auto-carries excess to A.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      Never thought of that. I just enter total on Line 23 worksheet of 1040 and it auto-carries excess to A.
                      Burke> I just tried your line 23 worksheet and I didn't know of it's ability to carry to Schedule A. It seems interesting, but I guess I'm a creature of habit and like to do it my way. Schedule A input sheet would just not look right to me without it on it.

Comment

the expenses can vary by year and by teacher. some spend much more than others. As long as they can answer yes to my question: do you have receipts for all these expenses, I do the same as Burke and my program does the same as Burke's.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Rita: If they're fumbling through their paperwork for this info, they're looking in the wrong place. Most of my teacher clients have their educator expenses written up on my ceiling. It's right beside their non-cash deduction values. When I ask for amounts, they always look up there and say "Well, I spent $200 for construction paper, $100 for stickers, $400 for CD's, etc". I'll bet your ceiling has the same sort of info...
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Omg

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                            Rita: If they're fumbling through their paperwork for this info, they're looking in the wrong place. Most of my teacher clients have their educator expenses written up on my ceiling. It's right beside their non-cash deduction values. When I ask for amounts, they always look up there and say "Well, I spent $200 for construction paper, $100 for stickers, $400 for CD's, etc". I'll bet your ceiling has the same sort of info...
                            I just looked up there! Yes, it's right there beside Joe Contractor's 147,000 business miles. Thanks, this will save me so much time in the future. This board is GREAT!
                            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I find that my most of my teacher clients keep great receipts- faded, scribbled on, untotalled, in an envelope, for me to add up- that's OK, at least they have them. But considering the small tax benefit it produces, it contrasts with the strange fact they they cannot keep such good track of other documents that are more valuable for taxes- like stock basis, or charitable receipts, or real estate taxes paid, etc.

Educator expenses I've seen usually range from about $200-$900.

Comment

Working...
                              X