Wrong SSN on K1s 08 and 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong SSN on K1s 08 and 09

I prepared Forms 1120-S for a corp in 08 and 09 and I apparently used the wrong Social Security Number for one shareholder both years. I do not prepare this shareholder's individual tax returns. I know how to change the SSN in my software and print the man new documents and since he wants copies of the old versions as well I know how to do that. But what I don't know is whether I file amended returns, do something else to correct things with the IRS and NCDOR, or let the error slide.

Originally posted by erchess View Post
    I prepared Forms 1120-S for a corp in 08 and 09 and I apparently used the wrong Social Security Number for one shareholder both years. I do not prepare this shareholder's individual tax returns. I know how to change the SSN in my software and print the man new documents and since he wants copies of the old versions as well I know how to do that. But what I don't know is whether I file amended returns, do something else to correct things with the IRS and NCDOR, or let the error slide.
    Never had to respond to this before, either. But here's what I would do.

1. ignore his request for old versions with incorrect #'s, since these were provided to him previously.

2. Change the K1's to correct numbers, print them out plus page one of the 1120S
    and mark across top "A M E N D E D R E T U R N". Then have responsible officer sign and sent along with cover letter (under suitable POA) explaining what really
    happened.

3. then sit back, have a drink at happy hour and let IRS sort it all out. That's all you can do.

Also, you shouldn't take any blame because you may have been furnished the wrong SSN originally, right? (grin
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
    X