Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Expenses

OTC purchases

It hardly seems fair (yes I know the tax code is not fair) that a taxpayer that has a flex spending account and purchases OTC meds can be reimbursed through that account.

However, an individual that does not have the privilege of participating in a flex spending account, and the doctor prescribes Zyrteck, Priolosec, Claritin, etc (all of which USE to be a Prescription Drug) that are now OTC - Can not deduct the cost under the Medical Expenses on Schedule A.

What are the options for these taxpayers?

Sandy

They could google "IRS pencil sharpener"

Comment

Very Cute and So True

B Hoffman
      Like I said - I know the tax code is not fair

Searching for answers - is there a work around on this issue?

I am going to check my pharmacy source, and see under my prescirption plan what the cost is if I fill the Doctors RX as opposed to buying OTC - I also have a "Healthy Savers" for $4 RX if it is on the list which is cheaper sometimes than my RX Insurance Coverage is
      I have to remind my pharamcist every time I fill a RX to check for the cheapest source of coverage I have on file with them. A $4 prescription one time could be a $ 20 the next time and I have to ask why, then they go oops didn't check the "plans" on file. Ugh!!!

There is just something wrong with this system and the Drup costs

Sandy

Comment

I read recently that the OTC drugs will no longer be deductible from Flex accounts. So, I guess the IRS put a stop to that.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Get the prescription version

Stepdaughter was told by her doctor to take Claritin. Her mother the nurse had a colleague doctor (psych facility) write daughter a prescription for Clarinex to fill and get paid for on father's insurance plan. Now, we're on a high deductible plan, so Clarinex comes out of our pockets until we get to $3,000. But, mom doesn't have to pay, nor daughter! So, depending on who you are, you can avoid paying by shifting payment to an insurance company or an ex-spouse.

Comment

Likewise, I was prescribed Claritin years ago. At the time it was filled, the pharmacy did not have any, so they substituted Allegra. Claritin went OTC some years ago, but my ins co is still paying for Allegra at less cost to me (copay) than I would have to pay for OTC Claritin.

Comment

Unequal deductions:
              A medical practitioner can recommend a nutritional supplement and it is tax deductible.
              A RX is needed for a drug.
              Go figure.
              Last edited by JG EA; 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM.
              JG

Comment

Working...
              X