Commuting tolls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting tolls?

Commuting miles are not deductible, but what about commuting tolls?

Added to the other business expenses, this will make a difference on a tax return.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Originally posted by Possi View Post
    Commuting miles are not deductible, but what about commuting tolls?

Added to the other business expenses, this will make a difference on a tax return.
    Not deductible because it is part of commuting.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks

I have not had that question asked before and didn't want to miss it if it were deductible.
      Thanks!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

TP is not required to live in an area that forces a toll during a commute. I agree that it is not deductible.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Tolls

Once I had a job where I received a mileage allowance based on the shortest distance. In one case, the shortest distance was over a toll road. All I got was the mileage allowance, so if I drove over a free road, I saved the tolls but only got paid for the miles I would have driven on the toll road.

Comment

Cite?

I thought that tolls and parking associated with commuting were deductible? Could someone give me a cite to the contrary? I would look myself but all my research tools for Federal Tax are on a computer that's in the shop.

Comment

Commute

Taxbook Page 10-5 (left-side of page). "Parking: if the trip is deductible, then the parking, and by implication, the tolls, would be deductible. If the trip is not deductible, neither are parking and tolls." If one is using that standard rate for mileage for business, then parking and tolls are deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                I thought that tolls and parking associated with commuting were deductible? Could someone give me a cite to the contrary? I would look myself but all my research tools for Federal Tax are on a computer that's in the shop.
                you mean you have access to this site but not to irs.gov? Amazing.
                Anyhow even Pub 17 explains how parking is deductible but does not specify toll fees.
                I still say no....if it was deductible it would be listed in the instructions for the form
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Tank you both

I am completely convinced.

For the record I don't know how to search successfully on the IRS site for a broad topic such as deductibility of parking. I have gotten to the point where I can muddle through e services, and if I know the number I can find a form or a pub but that's about the extent of what I can do on that site. By the way I'm not very good at Google or database searches either.

Comment

Commute

Pub 17, page 186, says "Fees to pay to park your car at your place of business are 'nondeductible' commuting expenses. You can, however, deduct business-related parking fees..."

Comment

Working...
                    X