income verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

income verification

I have a client whose profession generally receives gratuities. I have informed him that it is likely the IRS would require him to report tips from his profession. I was told that all of his income is stated on the documents he gave me for his Schedule C.

I'm concerned about possible blowback. Thanks for any help.

Tips

I just work with what I'm given... warned a stripper of the same thing and told her she needed to report all her tips. I think she misunderstood... gave me her bra size...

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post

stripper . . . needed to report all her tips. I think she misunderstood... gave me her bra size...
      If you had posted this gem in the morning, I'd have risked spewing coffee through my nostrils!

Comment

Hmm

If you're sure client is lying to you, let him go. If he does have trouble, he will blame you. I doubt he WILL have trouble simply because IRS doesn't catch things. But, I would be sure he knows that he is REQUIRED to report all income, regardless of how likely it is that IRS will question the return.

Donna - that was priceless.

Here's my tip: Never fry bacon naked. Heard that at a church retreat.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I have them sign a statement:

The Internal Revenue Code requires all income to be reported and taxes paid on that income as determined by law. I understand that income includes all tips, gifts and gratuities in addition to wages I receive as a result of my employment. I am reporting the following information for the accurate preparation of my 2009 income tax returns:

__ I did not receive any tips, gifts or gratuities in 2009 related to my employment.

__ All tips, gifts and gratuities were reported to my employer and have been included on my W-2, Wage & Income Statement.

__ I had tips, gifts and gratuities in the amount of $______________ to be reported as income.

Signed: ____________________________ Date: _________________
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Donna

Thanks for making me smile today. I needed that.

Linda

Comment

great sheet!

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
              The Internal Revenue Code requires all income to be reported and taxes paid on that income as determined by law. I understand that income includes all tips, gifts and gratuities in addition to wages I receive as a result of my employment. I am reporting the following information for the accurate preparation of my 2009 income tax returns:

__ I did not receive any tips, gifts or gratuities in 2009 related to my employment.

__ All tips, gifts and gratuities were reported to my employer and have been included on my W-2, Wage & Income Statement.

__ I had tips, gifts and gratuities in the amount of $______________ to be reported as income.

Signed: ____________________________ Date: _________________

Thanks for that signature page. I'm sure lots of us will use it. No more misunderstandings!

whew...
              "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

sure

... my pleasure............

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Possi, thanks for the template. First year in biz on my own and never had a client who was in an industry where tips were prevalent when I worked as an employee doing this.

Any value at all in documenting and filing a dated memo that you counseled client even w/o having a signature? At the time, I would have followed your collective advice but after the fact it would be difficult.

Comment

I just work with what I'm given... warned a stripper of the same thing and told her she needed to report all her tips. I think she misunderstood... gave me her bra size...

Very funny indeed. A standup comedian can use it as an on-stage joke.

Comment

Originally posted by wysiwyg.ea View Post
                      Possi, thanks for the template. First year in biz on my own and never had a client who was in an industry where tips were prevalent when I worked as an employee doing this.

Any value at all in documenting and filing a dated memo that you counseled client even w/o having a signature? At the time, I would have followed your collective advice but after the fact it would be difficult.
                      Well, its better than nothing. I make notes about telephone discussions. Now prefer email as it is in writing.

Comment

What...only 38 dollars for the whole year??????
                        Last edited by Questionguy101; 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Not mine

Originally posted by wysiwyg.ea View Post
                          Possi, thanks for the template.
                          Not mine, but taxmandan's~ Thanks to him....

Comment

Working...
                          X