Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Espp & Amt

ESPP & AMT
    Stock was acquired in 2009 through the company ESPP. It hasn't been sold. It cost less than 100% of the FMV. Is the difference an AMT adjustment for exercise of ISO? Thanks!

Originally posted by BP. View Post
    ESPP & AMT
    Stock was acquired in 2009 through the company ESPP. It hasn't been sold. It cost less than 100% of the FMV. Is the difference an AMT adjustment for exercise of ISO? Thanks!
    Maybe I'm confused (do NOT comment! grin) but....

An employee stock purchase plan has nothing to do with stock options granted by the
    company and subject to tax reporting.

When an employee buys stock via payroll deductions, that's same as if purchasing
    through a brokerage house. The only tax consequence is when shares of that stock
    are transferred/sold.

Are you confusing the ESPP with (separate) stock options?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

TTB treats the ESPP as a Statutory Stock Option in its discussion on these pages, which gave rise to my question.

Referencing TTB 6-18, as well as TTB 6-17 & 6-2.

The ESPP granted employee an option to purchase stock at a discount. This is not recurring purchases through payroll, but a separate onetime (well, there were two of them) transaction, where the employer has reported "gain" (FMV above cost) to the employee in a Purchase Confirmation.

I gathered from reading these sections of TTB that the stocks purchased fall under "Stock Options" so wanted to check on proper AMT treatment. Just not sure if the ESPP gets ISO AMT treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
        TTB treats the ESPP as a Statutory Stock Option in its discussion on these pages, which gave rise to my question.

Referencing TTB 6-18, as well as TTB 6-17 & 6-2.

The ESPP granted employee an option to purchase stock at a discount. This is not recurring purchases through payroll, but a separate onetime (well, there were two of them) transaction, where the employer has reported "gain" (FMV above cost) to the employee in a Purchase Confirmation.

I gathered from reading these sections of TTB that the stocks purchased fall under "Stock Options" so wanted to check on proper AMT treatment. Just not sure if the ESPP gets ISO AMT treatment.
        Ah, then, you're referring to what used to be known as an ESOP, which as you point out
        is different from the ESPP which I envisoned.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Ah, then, you're referring to what used to be known as an ESOP, which as you point out
          is different from the ESPP which I envisoned.
          Well, now that we are on the same page, got an answer for me?? (lol- cheers, friend)

Comment

Working...
          X