rental property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rental property

Can I determine the fair market value of a rental property by the TAV or the SEV of the house? What do you recommend the best method to determine FMV?

depends on what you need it for
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Rental Property

I need to start a residential rental property for a client in 2009 it was available to rent January of 09 and to depreciate the rental I need to know how to determine the FMV of the property at the time it was available to rent.

Comment

I believe you need

Originally posted by dor1500 View Post
        I need to start a residential rental property for a client in 2009 it was available to rent January of 09 and to depreciate the rental I need to know how to determine the FMV of the property at the time it was available to rent.
        I believe you need the actual basis, unless the property was inherited January 2009. Don't forget to allocate appropriate costs for non-depreciable land.
        Last edited by RitaB; 03-22-2010, 10:03 AM.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Lower of basis or FMV

Have client give you their cost basis as of the date it went into service as a rental. Then, have them research FMV to see if that is lower. Appraiser, realtor, comparable sales of rental properties that month in that neighborhood, public records, newspaper clippings, etc. Have them keep all documentation.

Comment

Right, RitaL

I forgot that property values DO go down. Interestingly, mine and all my clients' home values went UP according to the county tax assessor. I am still mad about that...
            Last edited by RitaB; 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: I bought an "s" for assessor
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Another

Oh, yeah, not the best, but another indicator of FMV, the assessment if near to the time converted to a rental. You need to ask what percentage of FMV the assessment is based on to back into FMV (ours is supposedly 70%). Around here, revaluations are done only every ten years, so not likely to have a timely value to use. And, as Rita says, my home value went UP per the assessor compared to ten years ago, but DOWN over the last few years in FMV based on local sales.

Comment

Working...
              X