FREE TurboTax costs $53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE TurboTax costs $53

My son prepared and e-filed his very simple tax returns recently using the so called FREE TurboTax website and it ended up costing him $53 after adding on his N. C. state tax return. His ONLY income was unemployment income and he did NOT itemize. Being charged $53 is NOT my idea of free! I charge $60 for such returns or sometimes less.
    Last edited by dyne; 03-21-2010, 08:20 AM.

Originally posted by dyne View Post
    My son prepared and e-filed his very simple tax returns recently using the so called FREE TurboTax website and it ended up costing him $53 after adding on his N. C. state tax return. His ONLY income was unemployment income and he did NOT itemize. Being charged $53 is NOT my idea of free! I charge $60 for such returns or sometimes less.
    I had a client this year drop off his son's tax return to prepare. I asked for a copy of last year's tax return and low-and-behold it was filed with Turbo Tax. Among the papers was a NYS notice asking for $215 for income tax w/penalties and interest. Appearently he only filed the Federal without the State. Hey,,,it was free.

I don't remember how much the penalties & interest were but it had to be $50+.

So in the end, he did all the work and paid a simular fee that I would have charged,,,,,but it was FREE.
    Last edited by BOB W; 03-21-2010, 09:05 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

my daughter used turbotax free online for boyfriend of her daughter, it was free! she thought she efiled the return, a w2 , 1040EZ and program wanted her to update to deluxe , she said no. well that was feb 2, yesterday went online to see what happened to the return (no refund), the account was deleted and the return as well.
      I had warned her in advance that they would be trying to sell a bigger package so she was aware and said no, but how many other people who are a 1040EZ is conned into upgrading for the higher price product when it was not necessary.

Comment

Proving once again

there's nothing in life that's truly FREE! If it sounds too good, it usually is.

Peachie

Comment

I myself use TaxAct, which is free for me to use. I do believe most, if not all of the DIY programs say upfront that state returns are extra. I prepared my girlfriend's sister's fed and CT return for under $15. Sure, they push upgrades. That has been going on in retail for decades.

IMO, it is not the DIY programs. Like people who fix computers like to say, the problem is in front of the keyboard.
          If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Working...
          X