New York filing requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York filing requirement

I have a client who was a part year resident in New York and part year in UTah. She only earned $1320 in New York and $1195 in Utah. No state withholding from either state.

Is she required to file a New York or Utah return with that small amount of income?

She is a single mother of 2 and gets child support which of course is not taxable. She is also going to school now in Utah.

Linda

She not required to file............in NY
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Eic

That is what I thought since she made so little. But I put it in my program and it gave her $159 of EIC from New York state. Does that sound right?

If so, I guess she should file even though not required.

Linda

Comment

Yes it does. And she should file for the refund.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Links

Linda,

You can also check on "links" top right of the screen,
          to the State Websites, click on Links, and then on State and then you can find the filing requirements. It has been a huge time saver for me with all of the Outstate Returns I that I prepare.

Thank you TMI for this feature

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
            Linda,

You can also check on "links" top right of the screen,
            to the State Websites, click on Links, and then on State and then you can find the filing requirements. It has been a huge time saver for me with all of the Outstate Returns I that I prepare.

Thank you TMI for this feature

Sandy
            Thanks for this info Sandy. I have never explored the "link" link. I will get my TTB id number and look into it. Continuing to learn so much about the value of my TB membership.

Comment

Working...
            X