Retired employee union dues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired employee union dues

A retired employee of American confederation of county state and city pays a voluntary $24.00 for union dues, Is that deductible???

thanks

Originally posted by POCAHONTAS View Post
    A retired employee of American confederation of county state and city pays a voluntary $24.00 for union dues, Is that deductible???

thanks
    Union dues, to be deductible, must bear a proximate relation to income earned.
    I never list them.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

thanks chears

Comment

Unless it is required to get the pension - I've seen that and do count under that situation. 2% Category.
        JG

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
          Unless it is required to get the pension - I've seen that and do count under that situation. 2% Category.
          A pension is a contract and doesn't depend on a union member maintaining
          membership. Or shouldn't anyway.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

West Coast

Might only be on the West Coast,

I have several that have to pay annual dues as part of their retirement contract. , at least so the taxpayer advises us.

I always enter under the subject to 2% on Schedule A, usually doesn't exceed, and everyone is happy!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
              but the employee has been retired for some time and is paying voluntary dues

Comment

so what does the IRC say about voluntary dues?
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by POCAHONTAS View Post
                  but the employee has been retired for some time and is paying voluntary dues
                  Voluntary? So, like club dues? Then don't put them down. (However see ST's advice if there is no benefit in the 2% category.)

So, dues are spoken of under the employee information but notice the Other Expense category. Pub 17

Other Expenses (Line 23)
                  You can deduct certain other expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% limit. On Schedule A (Form 1040), line 23, you can deduct expenses that you pay:

To produce or collect income that must be included in your gross income,

To manage, conserve, or maintain property held for producing such income, or

To determine, contest, pay, or claim a refund of any tax.

You can deduct expenses you pay for the purposes in (1) and (2) above only if they are reasonably and closely related to these purposes. Some of these other expenses are explained in the following discussions.

If the expenses you pay produce income that is only partially taxable, see Tax-Exempt Income Expenses , later, under Nondeductible Expenses.
                  This is my justification for taking if they are required to be paid by the entity paying the pensions.
                  JG

Comment

Working...
                  X