MFS and 1098

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFS and 1098

Just checking, doing a return of MFS and the husband is claiming all of the 1098 interest, even though in joint names. Is this OK?

See TTB page 3-13 for splitting deductions on MFS returns. If he paid all mortgage payments from his own separate account, I would agree he can claim. If payments were made from a joint account, he would have burden of proof to show he is entitled to entire deduction (or at least have spouse agree to this arrangement).

Comment

State Taxes

When doing MFJ only because it lowers State taxes I often move joint deductions/income where ever I need to get the lowest overall tax. I don't see a problem unless the couple is fighting.
      This posting is for general discussion purposes and is not meant to be reliable tax advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        Just checking, doing a return of MFS and the husband is claiming all of the 1098 interest, even though in joint names. Is this OK?
        Well, it means she has to itemize too. Is that happening? Most of the time, one wants to take all deductions and the other wants to file standard, even though this is not allowed.

Comment

Working...
        X