The New 1040X Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New 1040X Form

I'd love to hear any comments on the new 1040X form. Does anyone know the rationale behind abandoning the three column format? Guess I'm showing my age, but I don't like the new form. It was so much easier to see what's going on with the old form.

It didn't help that the form wasn't released in ProSeries until the middle of February.

No logic or rationale that I am aware of. That would be asking too much from the Service. I have not heard of anyone who thinks this new form is an improvement.

Comment

It's easier. They probably discovered most preparers can't understand a 3 column format with changes, so dumbed it down so that you don't need to understand a 3 column or change. Just preparer the return correctly, input the original refund/balance due, and write your explanation. Then they can figure out what the change was.

Comment

new format sucks

I, for one, loved the old 3 column format -- could see where the changes were. Actually, I thought if they could have a few more lines on it that it would have even been better.

Oh well...

Comment

This form still has to be mailed in doesn't it? Or, can it now be efiled?

Comment

mailed in

No, it still has to be mailed in. I thought we were supposed to be able to electronically file them but I just did one and it had to be mailed.

Maybe they don't care what we are changing. They just want the bottom line. If you were changing several things in one category, such as income, they still didn't know how you came up with the amount you were changing.

Don't know this is better but it is quicker.

Linda

Comment

Don't like it

When writing the "explanation" I still have to prepare a three-column chart anyway in order to adequately quantify and track the changes.

This new form assumes the preparer knows the previous status, which may not be the case. The old form would reveal this lack of knowledge.

Comment

I think they changed the form because the general public couldn't undertand the old form. I think that they feel that "Joe Public" can use this form easier. Just write in what you "meant to say". LOL
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Liked the old one!

I, personally liked the old format much much more than I like the new one. Wish they would bring the old format back!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                    I, personally liked the old format much much more than I like the new one. Wish they would bring the old format back!
                    Amen! It made it so easy to explain changes to a client... must be the teacher in me. I explain everything to death. (After teaching 40 years, it's hard to stop explaining.)

I'm concerned about a new client bringing in one of the new 1040X's in the future. It will be a nightmare to figure out, especially if they "can't find" the original return.

Comment

The new form says it can be used for 2006, 2007 and 2008. If you do this, is your software calculating the correct tax? Or do you have to look it up?

Comment

The old format was really screwed up by a lot of DIY people. They would send it in with the same figures in column a as column c; if you did not do the amendment in TurboTax in the correct way, that is what the program would do. A lot of states (and the 1120) just have a check box that says, 'this is an amended return'; maybe they figured this would be less likely to be sent in messed up.

Comment

I did one the other day and it was totally backwards. I did it by hand (which is always quicker for me anyway), and then filled in the numbers on the computer. The old format seemed to have a better follow through..

Peachie

Comment

Working...
                          X