Are you a Lone Ranger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ESPENCER

No way any loner could do 1000 returns. Would take a fleet of secretaries. I think 400 is ample if you have no support staff.
    Yes. WAY!

We once did almost one thousand returns a year here (1988-922/1989-915/1990-906) and my "fleet of secretaries" (partner-wife and niece working part-time) would be highly amused to hear there's "no way" and that they were the equivalent of such a mighty work force.

A few concessions -- that was twenty years ago, returns were much less complicated, and half were 1040As. Then Block's "Rapid Refund" came to town -- sliced my trade in half over the next five years And a good thing too 'cause me and my better half (niece is gone) would likely be six feet under at that pace.

Still, I was working Bob W's hours
    Originally posted by BOB W
    ...I use to worked to 2-3 AM and worked 7 days a week.
    and it can be done -- just requires application of seat of pants to seat of chair.

Comment

Yes, I am indeed a Lone Ranger. Back when I first started efiling my wife was even
      coming in to help out an hour or two a day after she got off work. That was when we
      did them by hand, the old fashioned way. In 1989 my efiling arrangement was that after I did the returns the usual old fashioned way, paper copies for him and me, got client's signature on the form 8453, got paid, and then input pertinent data into software just for efiling purposes. IOW software wasn't as sophisticated as we have today. Two year later HRB got onto the band wagon with efiling in this area, and
      after them, everybody else, too.

Now, in 2010, I do half the number of returns (the easy and impatient ones went where they could get money in 24 hours you know). But life is easier, much easier. This is my easiest season ever. No complaints what with social security monthly and mandatory IRA withdrawals.

So I can repeat with confidence my motto below: "Don't you take no ugly clients".
      (ugly means PITA)
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Lone Ranger

I am a Lone Ranger and love it. I have been doing this for 9 years and have built up my client base by word of mouth. This is the first year I have been in a commericial space previously I worked out of my house. I really love 99.9% of all my clients and the few pita's I have raised their prices to make it worth my while and fired a few of them this year. I do not need these guys they take up to much time!!

I did 178 returns last year and shooting for 275 this year. I am on track so will see when 4/15 comes around. Overall I could see doing 400 by myself anything else would need some part time help maybe when the baby gets into school mama can help for a few hours and will do 500.

It is nice to have this board to help out with some questions that come up!

Superman

Comment

Ain't is great!

Originally posted by superman View Post

It is nice to have this board to help out with some questions that come up!

Superman
          AMEN! It sure is nice....

Oh, and thanks for clearing up the "don't you take no ugly clients" quote!
          "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Forgot to add in my message above, but this discussion reminded me of a client I
            once had and don't any more, since the mortgage business is dead and she has no
            job in that industry any longer.

On her returns for occupation I always listed it as "loan arranger."
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I work totally alone, set all appointments and prepare returns. Only my 4th year working from home but I love what I am doing. Prior to starting my own business, I worked 13 years for a large chain. This is sooo much nicer and more personal. First year I started I did about 100 returns. Second and third years approximately 150. So far this year I am on track to do more, probably an extra 10-20. Would like to grow some more. I work totally by appoinment. All my new business comes from referrals from current customers. I tried other means of advertisement with no success. My retention rate is almost 100%. Usually only customers I loose are ones who move or die. Lately those moving away still want my services and I've done several returns by email. That fascinates me and I love it. Don't even have to make an appointment and set aside time to meet with them. All returns are personal returns.

Comment

Lone Stranger Here

Callie (wife) helps with appointments, printing, supplies, etc. But all tax work is done by me. Returns approaching 200 again. I don't do hardly any short forms except for clients' kids. Almost all customers have a farm, rental property, sideline businesses, and I do appx 15 entities. Largest AGI is over $4 MM, Largest corp is $9 MM, very few clients under $100K, even in this rural area. No advertising, word of mouth only. I did yellow pages one year and grew by only one client as a result. (If you are considering this to grow your business, please read the foregoing one more time.)

Reached 200 in 1990, sold half my business. Reached it again in 2000, sold half my business again. I do 1400 hours of other work, e.g. accounting and contracts analysis in off-season. Tax hours, including seminars, file compilation in offseason, etc. is over 800 hrs. Appointment time alone approaches 500 hours for 200 customers, plus another 150 hrs in computer work of one kind or another.

Comment

Lone Ranger here also. Do from 150 to 200 returns a year. With most being individuals and about 20 being S-Corps. I've had people come in later this year which has thrown me a little behind but not much. Also having a trough time getting info from the S-Corps. Again something new.

Having to work Sundays now which I really don't like but I think it will be okay for a month. Really it seems the weekends are beginning to be the only time I can work on the business returns. I have constant interruptions during the week and people picking up. I do work late into the morning like 2am... sometimes later. Have to say putting tax returns together this year is a little better because of the way Drake prints it out. Just easier to organize.

Glad this board is around. Most of my friends and some family just don't understand when I complain about the different situations I encounter. But I must say I am very blessed that I have such a good business.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                    Also having a trough time getting info from the S-Corps.
                    Those pigs!

OK, now getting ready to go to church to repent for that joke...
                    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I just acquired an assistant for busy season

And by 'assistant' i mean a family member who'll happily work free of charge. (1)

I'm scratching my head, dumbfounded. I ask myself, "Why have i not sought help in the past?!?"

A little bit of help is enormous during this time. I don't expect that i'll go it alone next year.

(1) After the dust settles, i'll go over how much $$ i pulled in and decide how much to pay to family. The amount will be more than family is expecting. It might be less than market value of services rendered.

Comment

More?

Have any other relatives?!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                          Have any other relatives?!
                          LOL!

I don't think i have any more available and willing. Otherwise i'd purchase another computer.

I will say that in the future i'll be much more likely to formerly hire seasonal help.

This family member of mine is not a tax pro -- no letters behind the name. Nonetheless, a tremendous help.

Comment

Oh, that's good!

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                            Forgot to add in my message above, but this discussion reminded me of a client I
                            once had and don't any more, since the mortgage business is dead and she has no
                            job in that industry any longer.

On her returns for occupation I always listed it as "loan arranger."
                            Growing up, my mother was strapped trying to keep us 5 kids out of the orphanage. We never had new furnitured... we lovingly called her the "lone re-arranger!"
                            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

John H

THANKS you made my day - (I felt like I was 9 yrs old again - for a few seconds - haha)

Comment

Working...
                              X