No announcement yet.

Maybe it is just where I work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lady asked me the other day about a tax credit her husband heard about... that they can get a $6,500 credit for owning their home for over 6 years.

Comment

Me, too

Been getting that one!

Comment

Refundable Education Credits

I also had a few people in that said they were told by financial aide to file taxes to get back the education credits.

One girls tuition statement had grants to cover all tuition. She said she took out loans. I asked her what she spent the money on. She said rent, food and other living expenses (has 3 kids and on welfare). I told her she had to spend the loans on college fees. She insisted the finanical aide dept told her she could get a refund. I asked if the people in financial aide were tax experts. She looked surprised.

I told her I would not prepare that return.

Comment

Today

a client came in to do her 2008 and 2009 return. She handed me a 2007 and 2009 W-2. We had the 2008 W-2 faxed to the office. She finally admitted that she probably didn't file the 2007 return. Each W-2 had about $30,000 with about $300 federal tax withheld. she had two children but thought that her ex probably took them as dependents. She said her Human Resources Department said that she would not owe money. I entered the data for the 2008 return and she owed about $3000. I explained that she would owe about the same amount for the 2007 and 2009 return. When I told her how much the three returns would cost, she said her boy friend's accountant would do it much cheaper and left.

The best part of the story is that she is a teacher. I sure feel sorry for her students.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
            When I told her how much the three returns would cost, she said her boy friend's accountant would do it much cheaper and left.
            Ouch! Well good luck to the other accountant and her students.

Had one today that called and said he had a business but did not make anything... did he have to file.. he also gets a deduction for his 2 out of his 4 kids... "shouldn't that be worth something?" he asked.

Another one called and wanted a quote over the phone. Asked questions. "oh very simple, 1040, Schedule A." I continued asking questions and finally got "well I have several cancellation of debt and did sell some stocks". Gave her the quote and she said thank you and good bye at the same time

Comment

Working...
            X