Long Time Residence, Spouse Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Time Residence, Spouse Only

My couple were married about 4 years ago. She owned and lived in the house for 3 years before that.

She qualifies for FTHB credit (long time resident) but he does not.

TTB says "Taxpayer (and spouse if married) blah blah blah...."

Does he knock her out of the credit? I have read so many threads on this tonight I'm going blind!

Thanks!
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Yes

Originally posted by Possi View Post
    My couple were married about 4 years ago. She owned and lived in the house for 3 years before that.

She qualifies for FTHB credit (long time resident) but he does not.

TTB says "Taxpayer (and spouse if married) blah blah blah...."

Does he knock her out of the credit? I have read so many threads on this tonight I'm going blind!

Thanks!
    Yes, he does knock her out of the credit.

Dusty

Comment

doesn't seem right...

....since it can be split when a couple is not married.

He lived there for 5 years, living with her, but he was not an owner. In fact, I believe the house is in her name only.

He is filing bankrupsy and I don't think they ever put his name on that house. The new house is only in her name as well.

Oh well, that's the way it goes..............
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        ....since it can be split when a couple is not married.

He lived there for 5 years, living with her, but he was not an owner. In fact, I believe the house is in her name only.

He is filing bankrupsy and I don't think they ever put his name on that house. The new house is only in her name as well.

Oh well, that's the way it goes..............
        Not so fast - what you posted now is different that what you posted before. I am going crazy today so I do not have time to research but they may be eligible.

Dusty

Comment

back at it

I'm back at this tax return, so I'll keep looking myself.

Maybe I didn't give you enough information. When I read TTB that clearly says "Taxpayer (and spouse if married) ..." I thought it tossed them out of the game, and was just checking here to see if maybe I was wrong.

I did not know originally how long he lived there, when he moved in, because I don't typically ask couples if they lived together before they were married... if so, how long! I would never ask that! She called and gave me the additional information because I told her she didn't qualify.

I'll keep this opened and keep looking mysellf.

Thanks!

Comment

Notwithstanding the fact that first impressions are usually correct,......

To qualify both spouses must own and occupy, so the fact he didn' town has the
            effect of "tainting" her. No credit.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

thanks

... and that's my final answer.

Whining clients just break my heart... don't they, you?

Comment

Working...
              X