Well, THAT'S refreshing / Separated couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, THAT'S refreshing / Separated couple

Wow. Just had a separated couple drop off their stuff. Together. They were cordial with one another and with me. Understood when I told them I don't know if you would benefit from filing separately until I have gone through your numbers.

Five minute party!
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Party Halted

Employee calls: "Do you know why no income tax is being wittheld from my checks?"

Me: "How did you complete your W-4?"

EE: "I dunno."

Comment

And I'm waiting right now for 2 pm appointment. Already did their return filing jointly, they
      will owe 1,012 because of wife's W2 on which no federal w/h.

She's not happy, wants hubby to pay it.

Now here's the thing: filing separately, he will get refund of 259; she will OWE 2,694!

now THIS ought to be interesting, cause he tells me if she files separately, she'll claim HOH.
      BTW, no children at home or who can be claimed by either. Furthermore, ... he says.....
      she doesn't believe him, and she won't believe me either about joint return because......
      beCAUSE... we're both men.

(story developing......)
      (hope you don't see rest of the story onDrudge Report.)
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Sure

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        ...and she won't believe me either about joint return because......
        beCAUSE... we're both men.

(story developing......)
        (hope you don't see rest of the story onDrudge Report.)
        As if you care.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
          As if you care.
          Well of COURSE I care. I care about all my clients.

Meeting just finished, and she saw the light. They had just come from the ice cream parlor,
          and didn't bring me a cone either. (God, but I like ice cream!)
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

You do know

Harlan, you do know that I was joking. You know, saying one of those petty things women say to you men? Get it?

So, they had ice cream. That solves a lot of problems right there.

Comment

Wow. Just had a separated couple drop off their stuff. Together. They were cordial with one another and with me. Understood when I told them I don't know if you would benefit from filing separately until I have gone through your numbers.

Five minute party!
              A loooong time ago, when I was 20 and got divorced, my by then ex-husband and I walked out of the court room hand-in-hand. I don't think either of us ever talked bad about the other one.

Comment

That's a far cry from what Lewis Grizzard, columnist for the Atlanta Constitution & great Southern humorist used to say. He had been divorced 3 or 4 times, so he said/wrote something to this effect:

"Next time I get the urge to get married, I'm just gonna find a woman I hate and give her my house."
                Last edited by JohnH; 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Funny One

How would you like a client who's scheduled to come in at 10:00AM, calls at 10:20 to say she's late due to a traffic tieup on a main road to get here - say okay - comes at 10:30 - only to tell me that the 5 pieces of information I needed to prepare her return - she left home?
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Harlan, you do know that I was joking. You know, saying one of those petty things women say to you men? Get it?

So, they had ice cream. That solves a lot of problems right there.
                    I knew that Rita (grin)

But pretend I didn't; now YOU owe ME an ice cream!
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                      How would you like a client who's scheduled to come in at 10:00AM, calls at 10:20 to say she's late due to a traffic tieup on a main road to get here - say okay - comes at 10:30 - only to tell me that the 5 pieces of information I needed to prepare her return - she left home?
                      What would I do? Simply forgive and forget, cause I love my clients. They are
                      all like gold.

And the pretty ones sweet as ice cream.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

This reminds me of the time years ago when I worked for a chain and a couple who was getting divorced decided to file together and were getting a check at our office. Both was afraid the other would pick up the check and they wouldn't get their share. I heard an ear full from both sides and it all sounded very ugly. I agreed to go with them to the bank and hand it over to both at the same time so that there was no chance of one of them taking off with it if I gave it to them in the office. I explained it would take both signatures anyway but neither trusted the other. I was so dreading the whole experience but it went better than I'd expected. Mother brought the kids with her and the father had not seen them in months so both acted fine in front of the kids and I got through that but it broke my heart with the kids situation where she apparently wasn't letting him see them and they were just so overwhelmed to see their dad for the first time in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                        X