Wrong SS# on Dependent W2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong SS# on Dependent W2

Client's son, a student that worked part time, received a W2 with the wrong ss# on it. The only way that I know of to get this corrected is for the employer to issue a corrected W2. Is there another way that I am missing?

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

the taxpayer

can write the correct number on the W-2 and mail the return. Then tell the employer so they can issue a W-2C to alert SSA to the corrections.
    AJ, EA

Comment

that's the only way..

... that I know of...

Will you have to wait to file the return until the corrected W2 is in your hand?
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I stand corrected!

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
        can write the correct number on the W-2 and mail the return. Then tell the employer so they can issue a W-2C to alert SSA to the corrections.
        Good answer! I'll shaddup now!
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Can file

a paper return with correct SS# written in on the W-2 included with return. Can e-file but employer will have to issue corrected W-2 Opps, sorry all this has been already said. I didn't read the other replies before sending my own.
          Last edited by spencer; 03-09-2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ESPENCER View Post
            a paper return with correct SS# written in on the W-2 included with return. Can e-file but employer will have to issue corrected W-2 Opps, sorry all this has been already said. I didn't read the other replies before sending my own.
            Well, I dont know about that. IRS instructions say recipient can hand write correct
            number on the W2 himself for filing purposes. Why, then, would this preclude efiling the return?

I've not seen any efiling instructions forbidding such.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Harlan I think

that a hand corrected W2 needs to be labeled in the software as nonstandard. My understanding is that the refund on the e-filed return will be held up until summer when th IRS gets the corrected W2 in its system but that the paper return will be processed normally. I stand ready to be corrected if anyone knows better.

Comment

Working...
              X