Amended 2008, apply refund to 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amended 2008, apply refund to 2009

2008 amended return that will result in a refund. Can the refund be applied to 2009? I see line 22, but it says "estimated taxes" and it's too late for 2009 estimated tax payments to be made.

Yes I think so.
    "Amount of line 20 you want applied to your ( e n t e r y e a r ) : estimated tax 22"
    I don't think it is too late. After all, what if you were on extension. But you do want to factor in the time it will take to process. It may be better and less confusing to have the client pay 2009 and wait for the refund.
    JG

Comment

File the amended for '08 and extend '09 to wait for '08 processing.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thought about that, but client owes around $1k in 2009 and will get back around $1k on the 2008 amended. Figured it would be very tidy to just have the refund applied to the 2009 taxes.

So, I wanted to file the amended now and extend the 2009.

Otherwise, client is going to be paying the late payment penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
          Thought about that, but client owes around $1k in 2009 and will get back around $1k on the 2008 amended. Figured it would be very tidy to just have the refund applied to the 2009 taxes.

So, I wanted to file the amended now and extend the 2009.

Otherwise, client is going to be paying the late payment penalty.
          Do both returns, find the difference and file the extension with any $ owed ($59 or whatever) on the '09 return.

Usually when an amended return is filed the refund also includes interest. Will the carryover EST TAX include that interest?
          Last edited by BOB W; 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
          X